CHURCH OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1033180
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1033180.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 16:47:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Stonham Aspal
National Grid Reference:
TM 13345 59523

Details

TM 15 NE 5/200

STONHAM ASPAL The Street (south) Church of The Blessed Virgin Mary

9-12-55 GV I Parish church, medieval. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, south-west tower/porch, north porch. The north organ chamber and vestry were added c.1871. Mainly flint rubble with dressings of limestone. The slated nave roof has fine C15 parapets with freestone tracery; the clerestory windows have inner shafts and some original glass. There is much early and mid C14 work. The C14 tower has a hood-moulded doorway with grotesque corbels; a reconstructed timber-framed and weather-boarded belfry stage of 1742; boarded pinnacles and two square louvred openings on each face; restored 1986. Chancel is almost entirely of mid C14: east window with net tracery, and flanking external image niches. Side windows also with good individual tracery. Original scissor-braced coupled-rafter roof, plaintiled, with parapet gable. Lead-roofed south aisle also with C14 windows. North and south doorways have good C14 multiple mouldings. The north door is possibly original, and with a wicket door. The west window has intersecting tracery and adjacent buttressing, one with an image niche. Nave arcaded in 4 bays, with C14 moulded pier capitals. The north aisle was remodelled in C15; the fine traceried windows match those in the clerestory. The C15 north porch has a shafted outer doorway. A C14 piscina in the south aisle; another in the chancel is restored, and associated with triple stepped sedilia. In north chancel wall is a recessed tomb of c.1330 with the recumbent limestone figure of a knight; his armour has the Arms of Aspal. Octagonal font of c.1300; shallow cusped arcading on bowl and stem, and moulded plinth. Much good C14 and C15 window glass. The early C17 pulpit is octagonal, with arcaded faces; the sounding board is reused in a table and bears the date 1616. Two C16 tomb slabs in the sanctuary have sinkings for brasses; two further C18 marble slabs. A set of C16 nave pews are C19 work, but most have C16 poppyhead ends, with good animal figures on the buttresses. 10 pews in the aisles, also of C19, have C17 carved ends. Painted Arms of George III.

Listing NGR: TM1334159524

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
279451
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/14641/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert Whitehouse. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].