This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HINES FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HINES FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1033186

Location

HINES FARMHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Stonham Earl

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Mar-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 279360

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EARL STONHAM MIDDLEWOOD GREEN TM 16 SW 2/111 Hines Farmhouse - - II

Former farmhouse, built in 2 stages: mid C16 and c.1570. 2 storeys, 3-cell cross-passage entrance plan. Timber framed and plastered. Pantiled roof with axial chimney of red brick. Mainly c.1970 small-pane casements; some c.1570 diamond-mullioned windows are exposed and glazed. Glazed C20 entrance door at gable end. The hall and parlour cells are of one build, c.1570 : quite complete unmoulded framing and back-to-back open lintelled fireplaces in hall and parlour. Widely-spaced studwork without visible bracing, and wind-braced clasped-purlin roof with reduced principals. Until c.1970, the twin service doorways had heads with shallow ogee arches. The service cell is of early or mid C16, with arch-braced studwork and heavy unchamfered floor joists (now concealed); coupled-rafter roof, with evidence for both a half-hip, and a secondary queen-post system. This cell was remodelled (or perhaps reassembled) c.1600, but is certainly of earlier origin. English Vernacular Houses: E. Mercer, 1972. N.M.R.

Listing NGR: TM1043961226

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Mercer, E, English Vernacular Houses, (1975)

National Grid Reference: TM 10439 61226

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1033186 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-May-2018 at 11:09:14.

End of official listing