Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1033223.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 19:09:12.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Stonham Earl
National Grid Reference:
TM 10779 58839


TM 15 NW 5/101

EARL STONHAM FORWARD GREEN Church of St. Mary the Virgin


GV I Parish church, medieval with major phases of mid C14 and early C16. Restoration of 1874. Nave, chancel, north and south transepts, south porch and west tower. Flint rubble, mainly plastered, with freestone dressings. Nave roof slated, chancel roof concrete plaintiled, other roofs mainly leaded; parapet gables throughout. Some C13 fabric in chancel including a lancet in north wall. Double-bowl piscina is possibly C14 but reusing late C13 bowls; a pair of sedilia have a crouching hound between them, and another chancel window is also of c.1300. Major rebuilding of nave and addition of transepts and porch in mid C14. The porch has an image niche, and moulded cornice and bargeboards. A number of 2-light C14 windows, some with individual tracery; a priest's doorway north and south nave doorways, and large east and west windows. Fine tower of c.1500: flushwork tracery to the buttresses, plinth and parapets; good west doorway with traceried doors; the C14 west window is reused above it. In early C16 a clerestory was formed above the nave, with more flushwork tracery between the windows and at the parapets. Very fine 10- bay hammer-beam nave roof, richly carved and moulded throughout, alternate trusses have true or false beams, the former carved as angels, the latter having pendentive posts with carved bosses. Figures in canopied niches are at each wallpost. Chancel roof plainer and much restored in C19. C15 octagonal limestone font; alternate faces of bowl have figures and emblems. Octagonal pulpit, temp. James II, with strapwork-enriched arcading. The C19 choirstalls incorporate C15 tracery from rood-screen, as well as 4 fine bench ends with carved figures. 6 poppyhead pews, also C15, are included in C19 nave seating. A fine painted doom over the chancel arch; another painting in south transept (damaged). Others found in north transept in C19 were destroyed during rebuilding but recorded on paintings in the church. Some fragments of C14 glass. For details of nave roof and its imagery, The Fool in Medieval Church and Plays: Suffolk Review, April 1985: Timothy Easton. Suffolk Churches: H. Munroe Cautley, 1937.

Listing NGR: TM1077958839


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Munro Cautley, H, Suffolk Churches and their Treasures, (1937)
'Suffolk Review' in April, (1985)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00625/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr George C Scott. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].