YEWTREE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1033226

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1955

Statutory Address: YEWTREE HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of YEWTREE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1033226 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 18:35:35.

Location

Statutory Address: YEWTREE HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Stonham Earl

National Grid Reference: TM 09815 59922

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TM 05 NE 4/106

EARL STONHAM FORWARD GREEN Yewtree House

9-12-55

II* House; early C15 with alterations of c.1600. A 3-cell open-hall house. 1 storey and attics. Timber-framed and plastered; the C16 set-forward wing to left has good cable-pattern pargetting in large panels. Half-hipped thatched roof with axial and internal end chimneys of red brick. One gabled thatched casement dormer. C19 small-pane casements. Two C18 or early C19 boarded entrance doors. An unusually complete example of a medieval house: The cross-entry has unaltered twin 4-centred arched service doorways and massive rear 2-centred arched entrance doorway. From the cross-entry also leads the original staircase of triangular blocks with clap-boarded partition. Complete coupled-rafter roofs exposed in all 3 cells. Blocked open hall windows leaving evidence for square mullions. Widely-spaced heavy studwork with convex arched wind-bracing. The arch-braced tie beam has been removed from the centre of the hall, and a heavy 1st floor structure with chamfered joists inserted, together with a large chimney against the upper end of the hall, all in late C16. A wing was added to the front of the parlour cell also in C16, of 2 bays, with a cross-entry and end chimney. It is almost entirely of reused medieval timber, some of which is of c.1300 or earlier. Both wall plates have redundant notched-lap joints of this period, but the open truss is probably later; it has a strongly cambered tie-beam with heavy chamfered braces, both perhaps of C15 origin. Complete set of rafters from a coupled- rafter roof.

Included as grade II* because a good and exceptionally little- altered example of a rural C15 house.

Listing NGR: TM0981559922

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 279355

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing