CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1033288
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1033288.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 00:39:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Barham
National Grid Reference:
TM 13679 50950

Details

TM 15 SW 3/8

BARHAM Church Lane Church of St. Mary

9.12.55

I Parish church, medieval with mid C19 alterations. Nave, chancel, south-west tower/porch, north chapel and vestry. A church room was added to north of nave c.1980. Flint rubble with freestone dressings; much of the fabric has random blocks of reused moulded stone. The nave clerestory and vestry have red brickwork of c.1500. Plaintiled roofs with parapet gables. The tower has a flat roof behind C19 battlemented parapets. The chancel has late C13 work: south doorway, sedilia with tall shafts and pierced trefoils, a cusped piscina, and opposite is a large niche, perhaps an aumbry. Nave rebuilt mia C14; and with it the tower which includes a porch at ground storey. Both nave doorways are hood-moulded inside and out, with grotesque corbels. A number of Y-traceried windows. Later in C14 a 2-bay chapel was added to north of nave, later to be extended. C.1500, the nave walls were raised in red brick for a 7-bay hammerbeam roof, with clerestory windows in each bay. The hammerbeams and cornice are crenellated, but the upper part of the roof was renewed with king-posts on collarbeams in C19, when the angels were also replaced. A 4- light window of c.1525 in the vestry has a frame and mullions of terracotta with early Renaissance moulding. It was commissioned by the Bacon family and is by Italian craftsmen. Unlike similar finer examples at Shrubland Hall and Henley Church, this window is ill-composed, perhaps from surplus components. The east window (in C13 style) and west window (C14 style) were introduced mid C19. In the Middleton Chapel is a fine section of C15 rood screen, no doubt removed from the chancel-arch in C18 and augmented with contemporary panelling. The C19 pulpit also has traceried and coloured panels from the same source. Carved Italian altar rails, dated 1700; of same date are panels painted with Commandments, Lord's Prayer and The Creed. A set of 5 plain C16 poppyhead benches in the nave. In the chancel is a fine C15 recessed and canopied table monument with cusped and crocketed ogee-arched head. A wall monument to Sir Richard Southwell, d.1640, with effigies of him and his wife. In the chancel floor is a brass to Robert Southwell (d.1514). A floor slab of 1629 in the chancel, and seven others of late C17 and early C18 in the nave. Upon the nave walls are 5 painted panels bearing coats of arms.

Listing NGR: TM1367950950

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
279201
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00213/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs B.A. Curtis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].