This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

STANDISH HOSPITAL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STANDISH HOSPITAL

List entry Number: 1033357

Location

STANDISH HOSPITAL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Standish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1998

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 471792

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 80 NW STANDISH

1771/7/10014 Standish Hospital

II

Former country house, now a hospital. c1830, built as part of Lord Sherborne's estate. Rendered brick with plain 1st floor cill band. Tiled, hipped roof with dormers and slab chimney stacks with pots; eaves cornice and blocking course. 2 stories, basement and attics. Symmetrical entrance front of 3 windows with slightly recessed entrance bay; service wing of right of 3 windows, the central ones on both floors being blind. Recessed, hornless sashes, those to the outer bays of the house being architraved; ground floor right is tripartite. Greek Doric pedimented portico to the entrance. Interior: retains the original stair and some original features. History: the house stands on elevated ground with fine specimen trees and shrubs. It was occupied as a family residence by Richard Potter, father of Beatrice who, with her husband Sidney Webb, was one of the founders of the Fabian Society. In 1914 the house became Standish Red Cross Hospital for sick and wounded soldiers. Following the war it served as a TB sanatorium, its purchase by the County & City of Gloucester being partly funded by the Gloucestershire Branch and Joint Council of the British Red Cross Society and the Order of St John as a permanent memorial of the war work.



Listing NGR: SO8169506815

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 81695 06815

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1033357 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 12:37:16.

End of official listing