THE TATTINGSTONE WONDER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1033392

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1955

Statutory Address: THE TATTINGSTONE WONDER, THE WONDER

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE TATTINGSTONE WONDER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1033392 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 00:07:39.

Location

Statutory Address: THE TATTINGSTONE WONDER, THE WONDER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Babergh (District Authority)

Parish: Tattingstone

National Grid Reference: TM1391336282

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TM 13 NW TATTINGSTONE THE WONDER 4/121

22.2.55 The Tattingstone Wonder

GV II*

Folly church, masking a dwelling (originally 3 cottages). Converted into its present folly form from an older building circa 1790, by Thomas White of Tattingstone Place, as cut on a chimney brick with initials T.W. originally timber framed, the north face, east gabled return and west tower resemble the nave and tower of a church and are flint faced with gault brick rusticated quoins and dressings, red plain tiled roof continues through to rear and south of the 3 sided mock tower. Rear chimney stack. Dentilled eaves cornice. Plinth. North face:- 2 two-light windows, 2-centred heads, rusticated 2-centred arches with keystones over. There is a similar window of 3 lights with tracery over to the east face with a circular, square-leaded window above. The 3 faces of the mock tower have crow stepped crenellations with a gault band under. Stepped buttresses to angles. Blocked 2-centre arched "Belfry" windows to all faces, western face has similar windows to 1st and 2nd stages, that to first stage with leaded lights. Western ground floor window of 3 lights similar to eastern window. Rear wall, brick, gault dentilled eaves and quoins, 3 first floor 2-light leaded casements, 3 nailed vertically boarded doors and 2 windows to ground floor. The north, "Church" face can be seen from Tattingstone Place and forms part of the landscaped park. The tradition is that Squire White said:- "People often wondered at nothing, so he would give them something to wonder about." P G M Dickinson. The Little Guides, Suffolk 1957. White's Suffolk - 1844.

Listing NGR: TM1391336282

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 278896

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
The Little Guide to Suffolk, (1957)
'Whites Directory' in Whites Directory, (1844)

End of official listing