- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- AVEBURY MANOR
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1033785.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2021 at 06:13:14.
- Statutory Address:
- AVEBURY MANOR
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SU 09889 69997
SU 07 and
SE 06 NE
11/30 Avebury Manor
Manor house. c1557, 1601, c1730, and c1907. Rendered sarsen and limestone. Stone tiled roofs. One, 2 and 3 storeys. East front of c1557, for William Dunch, auditor of Royal mint. Four bays, 2 storeys and attic, adjoined on south by major rebuild or extension of 1601 for Sir James Mervyn. This returns to form new main front to south. Further west wing added to complete 'U' courtyard. Main south block contains single storey hall with cross passage at west end, remodelled c1730 for Sir Richard Holford, Master in Chancery (owner 1696-1742). The south block is of 5 bays, 2 storeys, with central porch with round arch on fluted pilasters and tall shaped gable containing niche and initials M J D 1601, all rebuilt c1907. Either side 4-light stone-mullioned and twice transomed windows, and 3-light single transomed windows to first floor. Parapet raised c1730. To right, a forward wing with similar glazing and parapet. Earlier east wing is of 2 gabled bays, extended to north by further 2 bays. Timber leaded windows and one canted bay window. West library wing c1907 has 3-light stone-mullioned and transomed windows and raised pedimented doorcase over a flight of external steps. Interior: Entrance now from east, to cross passage with C16 room to right, a panelled parlour with angled fireplace and chamfered ceiling beams. To left a stair, and in south wing, the Great Parlour, C17 panelling, stone fireplace of c1600 with arcaded frieze on end brackets and moulded shelf. Moulded plaster ceiling. In main south block, the former hall, remodelled as. Dining Room in early C18. Moulded dentilled cornice, corner panelled doors in eared architraves and dentilled pediments. Similar eared fire surround in stone with framed overmantel, pedimented with supporting scrolls. Beyond cross passage the library, now tea- room, with bolection panelling and heavy marble fire-surround. On upper floor of south wing the Elizabethan Bedroom with early C17 panelling, plaster ceiling and robust fireplace c1600 with gadrooned surround, arabesque frieze and carved wood overmantel. Also, other C17 panelled rooms and Queen Anne Bedroom with ceiling coved to guilloche and dentilled raised central section. Staircase to first floor C18 has 3 turned balusters per tread. Rails to attic stair C17 with turned balusters. Attic rooms have gable stack with chamfered fireplace and side opening, and reset C17 panelling as cupboards. The house is on or near the site of a Benedictine cell of St Georges de Boscherville, founded in 1114 and allocated to Fotheringhay College in 1411, fragments of which have been built into the present fabric. Much restoration work carried out by Sir Walter Jenner, owner from 1907, Alexander Keiller, the antiquary and others. (Ailesbury: Guide to Avebury Manor; Country Life, May 7 1921; R. Cooke, West Country Houses, 1957, 82-85; Pevsner, Wiltshire 102; C.L. Tipping W.A.M. LI, 440)
Listing NGR: SU0988569995
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Ailesbury, , Guide to Avebury Manor
Cooke, R, West Country Houses, (1957), 82-85
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1963), 102
'Country Life' in 7 May, (1921)
'Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine' in Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine, , Vol. 51, (), 440
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing