CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1033812

Date first listed: 27-Feb-1958

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1033812 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 15:44:42.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Winterbourne Monkton

National Grid Reference: SU 09768 71974

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 07 SE WINTERBOURNE MONKTON - 5/164 Church of St. Mary Magdalen 27.2.58 II Anglican Parish Church. 1877-9 by William Butterfield, incorporating C14 structure now only visible as fragments. Rock- faced limestone with ashlar dressings. Stone tiles and concrete tiles on north slopes. Nave with south porch and shingled bell tower, chancel with lean-to vestry on north. Gabled porch covering south door, restored simple chamfered early C14 arch, and similar but blocked north door. Varied 2-light windows formed from medieval lancets, and C17 three-light transomed window on north. Timber framed bell tower rising through nave roof, with pyramidal roof, all clad in shingles. Tall chimney at east end of nave. Interior: Nave 6-bay barrel vault. Medieval trefoiled stoup on north side. Round timber legs of bell tower and ladder access to tower from corbel on west wall. Chancel arch C13-C14, with small piscina on impost, the arch flanked by C19 triple blind trefoiled panels. Chancel has facetted roof and sanctuary lined with strips of brick tiling. Sill of east window dropped as reredos, glass by A. Gibbs. Fittings: Font, a splendid C12 tub with chevron decoration dissolving into a barbaric figure, trumpet flutings below, remounted in C19. Pulpit, C17 arched and carved panels, restored. Other fittings all C19. Furniture: an early C18 chest and an elaborate Bell & Co harmonium. Monuments: West end of nave, C19 limestone wall monument, gothic with star border, to Susanna Butler, died 1824. Flush limestone panel, C18 to Elizabeth Thorald, died 1732, with good inscription. White and grey marble table to William Hitchcock, died 1835. (Pevsner, Buildings of England: Wiltshire; photographs in NMR; and P. Thompson, William Butterfield, 1971, 420)

Listing NGR: SU0976871974

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 311416

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)
Thompson, P, William Butterfield Victorian Architect, (1971), 420

End of official listing