- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- NONSUCH HOUSE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1033860 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 10:41:38.
- Statutory Address:
- NONSUCH HOUSE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 96196 66036
ST 96 NE BROMHAM WESTBROOK
2/75 Nonsuch House
House, early C18, ashlar with stone slate hipped roof and ashlar stacks. 2 storeys and attic, 7-window formal main front, extended by one bay to left. Main front has 3 segment-headed dormers, 2-3-2 window range below with slightly projected centre, panelled parapet and applied pediment with keyed roundel in tympanum. Raised plinth, moulded string course and cornice, thin pilaster strips at angles and angles of centre. One parapet urn survives at right. All windows are 18-pane sashes in bolection moulded surrounds with moulded sills. Central 8-panel door in fine bolection-moulded doorcase with segmental pediment on carved consoles. Floral ornament in frieze and soffit of pediment. Bay to left projects with similar parapet cornice and string course. Similar 18-pane upper window, 3 plain sashes below. Service additions to left in matching style, probably c1920, one recessed bay then projecting section with hipped roof. West end of main house has added 2- storey canted bay in matching style to left and one-window range to right of 12-pane sashes with matching pilaster strips, string, cornice and panelled parapet. South-west corner urn. This is end wall of parallel roofed garden front, possibly early C18 in origin, altered c1920. Squared rubble stone with 4 hipped dormers and 7- window range of sashes in plain surrounds, early C20 segmental pedimented doorcase. Angle pilaster strips to match front. Sundial dated 1693. Old photographs show that seventh bay is added. To right 2 storey, 4-window service range, probably all c1920 with roof hipped to east. Interior: much remodelled c1920 in C18 styles. Front hall has fine stamped leather wall-covering and c1920 fireplace. Original closed-string stair with turned balusters. Room to west has unusual c1760 fireplace with console scrolls flanking, supporting maiden's heads in profile relief. South-west room has decorative scheme in Adam style, possibly wholly of c1920 apart from marble fireplace with curved plaque. South-east room has C18 marble fireplace. First floor centre has restored C17 Tudor-arched fireplace. The house is said to have been built on the site in 1646 for Lord Digby, the estate passed c1700 to William Norris (1656-1730) who rebuilt it after 1705. An estate map of 1705 shows a house with steep hipped roof and mid to late C17 detail. House belonged to the Norris family to 1835, the Meredith-Brown family 1849-c1920. The alterations were carried out for the Bankier family, owners 1923-30. (N. Pevsner, Wiltshire, 1975 149; H. Davis, A History of Bromham, 1965; Wiltshire Notes and Queries 1896-8 ii 190-201
Listing NGR: ST9619666036
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Davis, H, History of Bromham, (1965)
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975), 149
'Wiltshire Notes and Queries' in Wiltshire Notes and Queries, , Vol. 2, (1896-8), 190-201
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing