Church of St Nicholas

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1034135
Date first listed:
22-Aug-1966
Statutory Address:
Church of St. Nicholas, Baydon

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Nicholas
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034135 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 01:29:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St. Nicholas, Baydon

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Baydon
National Grid Reference:
SU 28133 78068

Details

SU 27 NE 2/101

BAYDON Church of St. Nicholas

22.8.66

II* Anglican parish church. c1100, c1200, C15 and C19. Diaper oolite and flint panels, chancel flint on stone footings, north aisle flint. Lead roofs. Nave and aisle, chancel and north vestry, and west tower. C19 south porch.

Square headed three-light cusped windows. Tower rendered with ashlar quoins and angle buttresses, three tiers, two-light belfry openings and crenellated parapet. Two scratch dials on aisle quoins. East window 1857-58 by G.E Street. Restoration again in 1876 and 1892.

Interior: nave arcade of two bays on south, c1100. Simple round arches and hood mould. Hollow chamfer around central pier and responds. Chamfered door for later west gallery now absent. North arcade of three bays, c1200, iron case round columns, round capitals and bases with leaf bases. Two-order pointed arches. Clerestory lancet, much renewed. Boarded roof on cambered ties. North aisle 1857-58 almost wholly rebuilt by G.E Street. South aisle C15, re-roofed C19. Chancel arch rebuilt on skew on C12 responds. Chancel three bays, ties bracketed to corbelled wall posts, probably C17. East window C19 Perpendicular. Tower arch tall, of two chamfered orders with a mid C20 oak screen.

Fittings: octagonal font with raised pointed arches, medieval. Pulpit, 1963 matching font.

Monuments: in chancel, seven wall tablets, white marble on grey. North wall: WILLIAM WILLIAMS, 1796 by Major of Swindon. Reverend WILLIAM JENNINGS, 1833, his widow added 1859, by Major of Swindon. Major General WILLIAM KIRKPATRICK of the East India Co. 1828. South wall: JOHN WILLIAMS, urn over tablet, 1828. MILLICENT PARKER, c1954 by Moneybone of Shrivenham. JOSEPH STROUD, 1856. THOMAS STROUD, 1827. Urn over tablet, by Major of Swindon.

Furniture: in vestry, three-panel carved chest C17. Communion Table, probably C18, altered, and some C18 fielded panelling.

The north wall of the churchyard is of cob with stone copings.

Listing NGR: SU2813378068

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
310560
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/05309/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roy Nash. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].