CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, THE GREEN
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034152 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 06:09:52.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, THE GREEN
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SU 26388 75825
SU 27 NE ALDBOURNE THE GREEN
9/39 Church of St. Michael
Anglican parish church. C13 - C15. Flint and limestone, some chequer work. Some sarsen and limestone ashlar tower. Lead and slate roofs. Nave, and aisles. Transepts. Chancel with north and south chapels. Tall south porch formerly 2-storey, and infill chamber between porch and transept. West tower. Elevation to south with 4-light Tudor arched windows, 3-light and cusped to clerestory. 3-light Perpendicular windows to transepts and to east end of chancel side chapels. Chancel has lancets, triple to east end. Aisles and nave walls crenellated. Tower, erected 1460 by Richard Goddard, of 3 stages with large angle buttresses decorated with crocketed triangular projections. West door with 4-centred arch with 2 casement mouldings and label with figured terminals. 2-stage 4-light window above door and flanking vaulted and crocketed niches. Bell stage with quatrefoil pierced transennae, also of 2 cusped stages. Panelled parapet with grotesque gargoyles. No pinnacles. Bronze bench mark. Interior: Nave of 4 bays, c1200. Chalkstone on drum columns and circular abaci. Pointed arches of 2 chamfered orders, the inner order of westernmost half round. South side decorated with horizontal zig-zag and lobed ornamentation. Transepts of 1 bay mid C15 with attached columns between hollow chamfers. Chancel of 1 open bay and east sanctuary with lancets. Nave roof low pitched with higher roof over by William Butterfield 1863-67, 8 and half bays, moulded ties intermediate principals and purlins. Boarding over rafters. Similar roofs to north aisle and transepts, and to both chancel chapels, the southern ceiled between the purlins. Rood stair in north-east pier of crossing, and brackets for figures. The outer face of the south nave door is round headed, with horizontal zig-zag and elementary dog-tooth, and restored nook shafts. North chapel has squint to High Altar and damaged piscina, and ogee headed niche to left of east window, with original red paint. South chapel includes vestry enclosed with C18 panelling. Bay between south transept and porch now children's corner, has panelled intrados to aisle and transept and corbelled stair to former upper room of porch, the stair removed by Butterfield when north porch removed. Fittings: Perpendicular screen between transept and south chapel, much restored in C18 and later. Also some medieval work in north chancel screen. Font probably C15 with lozenge panels. Pulpit c1600; highly carved hexagon on 6 wooden columns. Lectern C19 oak. Other fittings of C19. Monuments: Chancel: Chest tomb, 1510, limestone, to JOHN STONE, quatrefoil panels with central shields. Alabaster top incised with figure of vicar holding chalice. Inscribed border, Oval wall tablet, 1794, white and grey marble, to NEATE family, by Brewer of Box. Tablet, 1812 Oval white and grey marble, to JOHN NEATE, by Brewer of Box. Tablet 1833, white marble on black, to STEPHEN AND ANNA MARIA NEATE, sarcophagus. Unsigned. Wall tablet, 1829 White marble on black, to ANNA BROWN, small sarcophagus, by Pound of Newbury. White tablet, 1843, white and black marble, to CAPT. HENRY SEAGRAVE, governor of The Gambia. Anchor on chest, by Harrison of Marlborough. North Chapel: Wall monument to EDWARD AND WILLIAM WALROND, brothers, c1615. Marble. Chest with arms in cartouche and flying dragons, and strapwork on returns. Above, facing kneeling figures in niches flanked by marble Ionic columns on strapwork pedestals. Strapwork cresting with hog terminals. South Chapel: Wall stone, 1681, to JOHN NORRIS. South Transept: Monument, 1615, chalkstone, probably to RICHARD GODDARD of Upham and family. Large chest with strapwork and foliage. Metal shields missing, Goddard, wife and children kneeling on chest, facing outwards, 3 mustachioed boys and 1 girl. Recessed arches to rear, formerly with metal plates, between marbled Corinthian columns supporting gilded entablature. Masks and foliage in spandrils over arches. Long strapwork cresting over, with central arms and crown terminal. Panelled and coloured obelisks at corners. A fine monument with good detail of costume. Scroll over south door, 1786, to THOMAS GODDARD. Children's Corner: Hatchment, argent, a chevron gules and three sheaves also gules. DEO PRO NOBIS. North Aisle: Wall tablet, 1852, to Rev. JOHN SEAGRAM, by Harrison of Marlborough. Tablet, 1842, white panel on black marble, to BROOME WITTS and 15 ancestors (sic). Tablet, 1821, white marble on black, to RICHARD WITTS of New York and relatives. North Aisle: Royal Arms of Queen Anne. Nave: 3 commemorative ringing boards, 1806, 1837 and 1840. Brasses: South Chapel: Richard Goddard of Upham and wife, 1495. His dates not completed. Probably the builder of the tower. Dr. Henry Frekylton, chaplain, 1508. Clerical figure with book and inscription. Miscellaneous: South Aisle: Late C16 early C17 chest. Transept: North Persian carpet of 4 stripes and 3 medallions. C19. North Aisle: 2 timber fire engines, ADAM and EVE, Bristow of London. References: Pevsner, [(Buildings of England: Wiltshire).]
Listing NGR: SU2639475822
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing