CHURCH OF ST BLASIUS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1034290
Date first listed:
14-Mar-1949
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BLASIUS, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BLASIUS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034290.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 02:56:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BLASIUS, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Shanklin
National Grid Reference:
SZ 57848 80555

Details

SHANKLIN SZ58SE CHURCH ROAD 1352-0/4/182 Church of St Blasius 14/03/49 GV II*

Parish Church formerly the manor chapel to Shanklin Manor. C13 extensively altered and with addition of North transept in 1853 and north-east porch, south transept, south aisle and vestry in 1859. Built of stone rubble with tiled roof and central shingled octagonal spire. Roughly cruciform in shape. Nave, north aisle, north and south transepts and north-east porch and south-west vestry. 2 bay nave has blocked splayed trefoliated lancets. Chancel of 1 bay with original trefoliated lancet on each side. South transept has original trefoliated lancets. North transept has 2 renewed trefoliated lancets to east and original trefoliated lancet to south. North gable has cinquefoil-headed lights. North aisle has 1 original double cinquefoil-headed light with hood moulding and adjoining C19 copy of this. Attached to the west of this is a C19 vestry of stone rubble with 2 trefoliated lights and 2-centred arched doorway. Central octagonal shingled spire with open bell stage and iron cross finial. Interior has throughout C19 boarded wooden roof with strengthening iron ties to chancel and south transept. Nave has Early English pointed arch to north aisle and smaller arch by its side. Royal coat of arms. C19 splayed organ gallery. North aisle has C13 stone font, with trefoliated ornament and a fine carved wooden chest of 1512, once the property of Thomas Silkstead, Prior of Winchester. North wall has tablet to Vice-Admiral Henry Hill, with appropriate anchor and rope decoration. Chancel has pulpit incorporating 4 Apostles and the Virgin, small panels of c1520-30, probably Flemish and lectern also with C16 fragments. Trefoil-headed piscina with shelf and trefoil-headed sedilia. Marble wall tablet to Sarah Shapleigh Popham d 1808, relief of child rising to Heaven in prayer. Also 4 basalt floor slabs to members of the Popham family of Shanklin Manor. Visitors have included David Garrick, Longfellow, George Morland the painter, John Wilkes and Charles Darwin.

Listing NGR: SZ5784880555

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
310223
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04752/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Mark Hadley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].