CHURCH OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1034308

Date first listed: 14-Feb-1992

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD, LAKE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034308 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 03:49:08.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD, LAKE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Lake

National Grid Reference: SZ 58909 83301

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LAKE SZ58SE LAKE ROAD 1352-0/4/126 Church of the Good Shepherd II

Church. 1892 Architect Temple Moore in Decorated style with flowing tracery . Built of stone rubble with pantiled roof and partially timber-framed porch. Unusual double 3-bay nave with central bellcote, 2-bay chancel flanked by Lady Chapel to north-east and organ chamber to south-west and west porch flanked by two rooms, one a vestry. West front has 2 gables with 1 window each, the left-hand one with trefoil-headed arches, the right-hand one cinquefoil headed. 1 storey porch the whole width with two 3-light casements and central gabled wooden and rendered gable with inscription "The Good Shepherd giveth his life for the sheep". Cambered headed doorcase with plank doors flanked by side lights. North nave has 2 double cinquefoil-headed lights, south nave has 2 double trefoil-headed lights, all with buttresses. Interior: vestibule under west porch has central half-round columns with wooden panelled doors either side leading to naves, 4-panelled doors to clergy vestry and other room and 1/4 circle corner seats. Good iron handles and stone floor. naves are divided by 3 stone arches with mouldings dying into square piers, placed diagonally with chamfered angles. The penultimate pair to the west has attached by a plinth an octagonal stone font with quatrefoil motifs. Roofs of crownpost type with ribbed ceiling having square carved and boarded soffit. Octagonal carved wooden pulpit on stone base and carved wooden eagle lectern. Good stained glass windows including a panel depicting 1st World War soldiers. Chancel has 2 tall chancel arches with dying mouldings and rectangular light above, and arches divided by octagonal piers to form Lady Chapel and organ loft. Large West window with flowing tracery and good stained glass depicting Christ as the Good Shepherd flanked by David as Shepherd boy and king. Good wooden panelling to sanctuary, choir stalls and organ chamber. (Buildings of England:Lloyd D:Hampshire and the Isle of Wight:767) .

Listing NGR: SZ5890983301

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 310162

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 767

End of official listing