CHURCH OF ST GILES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1034645

Date first listed: 08-Sep-1961

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GILES

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034645 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 23:13:29.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GILES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: North Warwickshire (District Authority)

Parish: Nether Whitacre

National Grid Reference: SP 23128 92846

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NETHER WHITACRE SP29SW 5/87 Church of St. Giles 08/09/61 GV II Church. C16 west tower, the rest rebuilt 1870. Ashlar tower, rock-faced ashlar nave and coursed rubble chancel: both tower and nave incorporate medieval masonry. Plain tile roof with stone coped verges. West tower, 4-bay nave with south porch, and single-bay chancel with north-east vestry. West tower: 2 stages. Plinth with moulded coping, diagonal western corner buttresses and square eastern corner buttresses, and plain parapet with moulded coping. Pointed windows to west face of first stage and to belfry, all with Y-tracery and returned hood moulds. To the right hand side of the west face at a level between the upper and lower windows is a re-used C14 stone in which is carved a trefoiled ogee arch, possibly the head of a former niche or piscina. Above the tower west window is a fragment of a frieze of carved heads. At the level of the belfry string are a series of grotesque heads. On the south face at about mid-height is a carved shield with supporters. Nave: pointed 2-light windows with Decorated tracery. Gabled south porch with pointed dorway and scroll-moulded hood with naturalistic foliage stops. Chancel: windows similar to those of the nave, the east window has 3 lights. C19 vestry of re-used medieval masonry: one and 2-light windows of Decorated character; north door with Tudor arch, possibly re-used. Interior: tall pointed tower arch of 2 chamfered orders springing from cylindrical columns with moulded capitals; scroll-moulded hood with naturalistic foliage stops. Piscina with segmental head, roll and filler moulded surround and a basin carved with naturalistic foliage. Fittings: C19 octagonal stone font. Full set of C19 pine benches and choir stalls. C19 semi-octagonal pulpit: wood on stone base. C19 altar rail with decorative wrought iron brackets. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire: pp359-60; VCH: Warwickshire: pp254-5)

Listing NGR: SP2312892846

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 309401

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1947), 254 255
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 359 360

End of official listing