HARTSHILL GRANGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1034749
Date first listed:
25-Nov-1969
Statutory Address:
HARTSHILL GRANGE, GRANGE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of HARTSHILL GRANGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034749 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 16:51:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
HARTSHILL GRANGE, GRANGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
North Warwickshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Hartshill
National Grid Reference:
SP 32998 94731

Details

HARTSHILL GRANGE ROAD SP39SW (South-east side) 5/98 Hartshill Grange 25/11/69 GV II* House. Early C16 with later C16 rear wing and C17 additions; alterations dated 1712; small projecting wing probably added early C18; later alterations. Timber framed, mostly of close studding with rendered infill; some rebuilding in rendered brick. Old plain-tile roofs. Large external, internal and other brick stacks. Complex plan of 3 parallel ranges. 2 storeys and attic; 3-window range. Jettied porch of one storey and attic has shaped brackets. Late C20 plank door, but encasing the original door. First floor has tension braces and 3-light casement. C17 addition to right, flush with porch, has exposed small framing. Rendered gabled first floor has 2-light casement under segmental arch. Main range has large full-width wood mullioned window, probably C20, with central transom. 4-light casement above. Small rendered projecting wing attached to left corner has string course and narrow external stack; right return side has fragments of timber framing. Left return side of the house has twin gable ranges on left. Left range is rendered; C20 glazed door. Adjoining range has cellar door. Very large external stack to right has sandstone plinth, quoins and offsets, and brick dog-tooth cornice and shaft. Left return side has a fire window. Small gabled wing to right has canted bay with C20 casement to ground floor. Irregular fenestration throughout. Right return side of the house has exposed corner post and 3-light casement. Rendered 2-bay range of 2 storeys and attic has twin gables with brick-coped gable parapets and parapets between and to left and right. Internal stack of diagonally-set square shafts with cornices between the gables. Painted rainwater head has inscription NNS 1712 in relief. Ground floor has large windows, probably C20, with central transom, of 4 lights to left and 6 lights to right; upper floors have 3-light casements. Jettied 2-storey range on right is of small framing. Casements of 3 lights to ground floor, and 2 lights above. Interior: porch opens into full-width hall, with a floor possibly inserted later. Wide open fireplace has chamfered stone jambs and large bressumer. Ogee-stop-chamfered ceiling beam. Room beyond it has chamfered stone shallow Tudor-arched fireplace with moulded spandrels, and C16/C17 panelling. Room to rear has partly moulded ceiling beam. C16/C17 dog-leg staircase. Upper floors have some exposed posts and framing, and chamfered beams. Wide floor boards. Queen strut through-purlin roofs. Some C16/C17 eight-panelled doors throughout the house. The house is built on land which once belonged to Merevale Abbey, and was granted to Sir William Devereux in 1540. It was later the property of the Earl of Essex. The Quaker philanthropist Nathaniel Newton lived at Hartshill Grange in the late C17 and early C18; and George Fox visited the house. It was also the home of the Quaker Benjamin Bartlett, author of The History and antiquities of the Parish of Manceter', 1791. (Douglas Hickman: Warwickshire, A Shell Guide, p109; Benianin Bartlett, 'Mandnessedum Romanorum, or The History and Antiquities of the Parish of Manceter')

Listing NGR: SP3299894731

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
309191
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bartlett, B, Mandnessedum Romanorum or The History and Antiquities of Manceter, (1791)
Hickman, D, 'Shell Guide' in Warwickshire, (), 109

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/02180/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr J.N. Davies. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].