CHURCH OF ST WILFRED

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1034773

Date first listed: 30-Mar-1988

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST WILFRED, RECTORY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST WILFRED
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034773 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 18:45:24.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST WILFRED, RECTORY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: North Warwickshire (District Authority)

Parish: Arley

National Grid Reference: SP 28321 90618

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ARLEY RECTORY ROAD SP29SE (East side) Old Arley 4/7 Church of St. Wilfrid GV II* Church. C14. Considerably restored 1873. Regular coursed and ashlar red sandstone. Late C19 timber framed porch with rendered infill. Old plain-tile roofs to chancel and porch; chancel has coped gable parapet with gablet kneelers; nave roof hidden behind moulded cornice and parapet. Chancel, nave, west tower, south porch. 3-bay nave, 3-bay chancel. Splay plinths throughout. Chancel has diagonal and side buttresses of 2 offsets. 3-light east window has cusped intersecting tracery. Hood moulds to most openings. South doorway of 2 moulded ogee orders, hood mould with finial and plank door. Small deep splayed square window above. 2-light windows, straight-headed to south-west. On north side are three 2-light windows, each longer than the last, with stepped sill course. Varying tracery throughout. Porch has double-leaf 4-centred 4-panelled doors, with unglazed overlight. Doorway of chamfered orders inside has C19 door. Painted sundial above and to right of porch. Nave has eastern and western buttresses. 3-light windows, of 3 cusped lancets to south-east. North side has octagonal stack in east corner. Small straight-headed window below of 2-ogee lights. Blocked doorway with hood mould; window above has round-arched light in straight head. Round-arched western window. Tower of 2 stages with splay course, and diagonal buttresses of 2 offsets. C19 west window has cusped Y-tracery. Bell chamber has renewed louvred openings with tracery. Moulded cornice and embattled parapet. Interior is plastered. Chancel has C19 painted and stencilled panelled ceiling. Late C19 chancel arch of continuous chamfered and moulded orders. Nave has C19 boarded ceiling. Fittings: late C19 panelled dado, reredos, screen, altar rails, font etc. Stained glass: chancel north west: some C14 glass. Monuments: chancel north: C14 tomb recess of 2 segmental pointed moulded orders and restored hood mould, with recumbent effigy of a priest. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire: p72; VCH: Warwickshire: Vol VI, p10)

Listing NGR: SP2832190618

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 309095

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1951), 10
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 72

End of official listing