STABLE BLOCK AT ASTLEY CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1034777

Date first listed: 11-Nov-1952

Statutory Address: STABLE BLOCK AT ASTLEY CASTLE

Map

Ordnance survey map of STABLE BLOCK AT ASTLEY CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034777 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 19:47:57.

Location

Statutory Address: STABLE BLOCK AT ASTLEY CASTLE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: North Warwickshire (District Authority)

Parish: Astley

National Grid Reference: SP 31147 89392

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASTLEY

1728/8/17 ASTLEY CASTLE 11-NOV-52 Stable block at Astley Castle

GV II*

Stables and coach house range. Circa mid to late C18. Regular coursed sandstone; rear wall of brick. C20 plain-tile hipped roof. T-plan with wing to rear. Gothick Revival style with 4-centred arches throughout. One storey, 5 bays. Symmetrical front has moulded cornice and embattled parapet. 3-bay centre projects slightly and has embattled gable parapet. Double-chamfered doorway with plank door. Windows have Y-tracery. Gable has large moulded quatrefoil opening, partially bricked-up and damaged. First and fifth bays have large bricked-up double-chamfered arches, probably originally coach houses. At rear, gabled wing at centre; later cart entrance on right with added gable above. INTERIOR: Some of the original roof structure remains and interior fittings said to have been largely replaced. This is a good example of C18 Gothick Revival style.

Listing NGR: SP3114789392

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 309105

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing