Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034891.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 23:45:22.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Rugby (District Authority)
Burton Hastings
National Grid Reference:
SP 40984 89906


BURTON HASTINGS MILL LANE SP48NW (North side) 4/8 Church of St. Botolph 06/10/60 - II*

Church. C14 chancel and parts of tower. Early C16 nave. Tower rebuilt C16. Restored c.1867. C19/C20 porch. Coursed squared sandstone, with chancel east wall and tower of ashlar. Plain-tile roofs; chancel and north side of nave have moulded cornice and parapet, and cross finial; tower and south side of nave have moulded embattled parapets and cornices. Chancel, nave, west tower and south porch. Mostly Perpendicular style. 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave. Splayed and moulded plinths throughout. Chancel and nave have diagonal east buttresses of 2 offsets. Chancel has C19 three-light east window; old hood mould has remains of stops. North side has straight-headed 2-light window with trefoiled lights and sunk spandrels. Similar south-west single light. Straight-headed 2-light south-east window has reticulated tracery. South porch has ashlar base and upper part of timber, with Tudor-arch entrance and traceried openings. Simple moulded doorway inside has C19 double-leaf doors. Slate sundial dated 1867 above porch. 3-light south-east and north-east windows have mullions, lancets and tracery. South buttress. North side has traces of blocked door. North-west buttress. Tower of 2 stages, with splay course between. High first stage has diagonal west buttresses of 4 offsets. Restored 3-light west window has deep splayed jambs and hood mould. Second stage has 2-light openings with simple tracery. Pinnacles. Interior: chancel has small south-east piscina. East wall has small aumbry in north corner. C19 boarded barrel roof has moulded segmental arched braces, moulded ridge, purlins and ribs, carved bosses, half-octagonal wall posts and stone shield corbels. Chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders, the outer segmental pointed, the inner with half-octagonal responds and moulded capitals. Nave has splayed north-east angle with renewed moulded Tudor arch doorway and plank door to former rood-loft stair, and similar doorway above and to right. Simple broad-chamfered Tudor arch to tower. C19 Perpendicular roof. Fittings: font of c.1300, but partly renewed, is octagonal with blind trefoiled arcading, rosettes and fleurs-de-lys, on round base. C19 lid. Chancel arch has hooks for Lentern veil. Remains of painted Royal arms below tower. Charities board dated 1819 above blocked north door. Old iron bound chest. Pulpit dated 1920. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.VI, pp.59-6l; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.222; National Monuments Record).

Listing NGR: SP4098489906


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1951), 59 61
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 222


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02180/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr J.N. Davies. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].