CHURCH OF ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1034980
Date first listed:
11-Feb-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PAUL, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034980 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 22:26:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PAUL, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Nuneaton and Bedworth (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 33349 91403

Details

NUNEATON AND BEDWORTH CHURCH ROAD SP39SW (West side) Stockingford 1/43 Church of St. Paul - II

Church. 1822-1823 by J. Russell for the Commissioners for Building Churches. Chancel added 1897 by G.B. Vialls. Flemish bond brick with some stone dressings. Graduated slate roof has deep plastered eaves and pediment gables with widely-spaced modillions. Chancel has blue brick plinth and stone dressings. Ridge tile cresting and stone-coped gable parapet with moulded kneelers and finial. Nave, chancel, west tower, east vestries. Simple classical style; Gothic Revival chancel. Large 4-bay nave, small 3-bay chancel. Chancel has buttresses flush with east wall. 3-light east window has bar tracery, hood mould and head stops. Small lancet opening above. Chancel roof breaks into nave pediment. Pediment has triangular sunk panels and louvred round-arched opening with projecting surround. Nave and remainder of-church have round-arched openings with stone sills set in blank arches. 2-light windows have painted wood tracery of the 'Venetian' type, with round-arched lights and a circle; sunk panels in brickwork below. Nave windows have 2 transoms and stone band at springing level. North-east vestry of 2 bays has 4-panelled door with traceried fanlight and blocked window. South-east vestry of one bay has part-glazed round-arched door, with sunk panel above. Each vestry has window with one transom to return side, moulded brick cornice and embattled parapet. West front has blind arches. Tower of 3 stages cuts into nave pediment. Stone string courses. Round-arched flush 4-panelled double-leaf doors. Return sides have blind openings, largely hidden by lean-to addition to north. Second stage has louvred openings. Third stage has slightly-projecting angle piers with plain stone capitals. Round openings with stone frames have clock faces to north and south, and pierced painted infill to west. Moulded stone cornice and balustrade. Interior is plastered. Spacious nave has coved and panelled ceiling with flat moulded ribs. West gallery has painted fielded panelled front and curved ends, on chamfered posts. Chamfered stone Tudor chancel arch of 1897 has hood mould with foliage stops. Chancel has 3-bay king post roof. Fittings: late C19 pews, altar rails and organ case. Font of 1883. Octagonal carved wood pulpit dated 1906 has blind Gothic tracery. Late C19/early C20 reredos. Stained glass: early C20 east window. (VCH: Warwickshire: Vol IV, pp165; Buildings of England: Warwickshire: pp404; Kelly's Directory of Warwickshire 1894; pp195)

Listing NGR: SP3334991403

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
308581
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1947), 165
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 404
'Kellys Directory' in Warwickshire, (1894), 195

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/07215/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Wise. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].