CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1035101
Date first listed:
11-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1035101.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 15:43:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Warwick (District Authority)
Parish:
Baddesley Clinton
National Grid Reference:
SP 20260 71359

Details

BADDESLEY CLINTON SP27SW 2/7 Church of Saint Michael 11/04/67 II* Church. C13 origins; nave raised and clerestory windows inserted late C15; late C15 tower; chancel rebuilt and extended 1634. Random coursed stone rubble to lower part of nave; stone ashlar to chancel, tower, and upper part of nave; old plain-tile roofs to nave and chancel; tower roof not visible. 3-bay nave, 3-bay chancel and west tower. 2-centre arched doorway with hood mould and C19 door to centre of nave. 2-light stone mullion window to right of nave. Three 3-light stone mullion windows with cusped lights to clerestory. Tudor-arched doorway with C19 plank door to left of centre of chancel. 3-light stone mullion windows to left and right of centre. 5-light Rectilinear tracery window to east end of chancel. North side: 2-centre arched doorway with hood mould and ribbed door to centre of nave. Y-tracery window to left of nave. 2-light stone mullion window with cusped lights to right of nave. Three 3-light stone mullion windows with cusped lights to clerestory. Tower: 4-centre arched doorway to west side with plain spandrels and hood mould. 3-light Rectilinear tracery window with hood mould above doorway. 2-light Rectilinear tracery louvred openings to each side of top stage of tower. String course to base of tower parapet has carved water-spouts. Battlemented parapet. Interior: chancel; 3-bay barrel-vaulted roof with moulded wood ribs. Altar tomb to right to Sir Edward Ferrers (1465-1535) and his wife Constance, in Tudor-arched recess, having quatrefoil spandrels. 3 panels to tomb with elaborate tracery and armorial bearings. C19 choir stalls. 2-centred chancel arch with chancel screen, dated 1634, having wood panelled base and strapwork slats above. Nave: 3-bay Perpendicular roof. C19 pulpit, font and pews. 2-centred arch on octagonal half-columns to tower. East window is C16 in origins but much is probably now mid-C18 restoration. History: Nicholas Brome, who was responsible for the late C15 work on the church, was lord of the manor, and carried out the work in expiation of his murder of the priest, whom he found "chucking his wife under the chin". The church contains a Sarah Green single manual chamber organ. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire: 1966, pp80-81; C.J. Baddeley: The Church of Saint Michael, Baddesley Clinton (guide book) 1970) [ 54]

Listing NGR: SP2026071359

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
308269
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Baddeley, C J, Guide Book The Church of Saint Michael Baddesley Clinton Warwickshire, (1970)
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 80-81

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/06957/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Morphew. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].