CHURCH OF ST GILES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1035112
Date first listed:
05-Dec-1949
Date of most recent amendment:
16-Feb-1990
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES, GLASSHOUSE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1035112 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 01:14:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES, GLASSHOUSE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Warwick (District Authority)
Parish:
Lapworth
National Grid Reference:
SP 16990 72811

Details

LAPWORTH GLASSHOUSE LANE SP17SE (East side) Packwood 1/28 Church of Saint Giles 05/12/49 (Formerly listed as Packwood Church, Glasshouse Lane, Packwood, in the Urban District of Solihull) 6V II* Church. Nave and chancel of c.1300; tower of c.1500; north transept of c.1704; C19 vestry and organ bay. Squared random coursed stone; brick to north transpet; C20 plain-tile roofs to nave, chancel and transept; roof of tower not visible. 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave, single-bay. North transept and west tower. Timber-framed on stone plinth to left of centre of nave. 2-centre arched doorway with ribbed wood door. Lancets with trefoil heads to left, and to right of centre of nave. Y-tracery window to right of nave. Blocked 2-centre arched doorway to left of centre of chancel. Lancet with trefoil head to left of chancel. Y-tracery window to right of chancel. East end of chancel: 3-light intersecting tracery window. North side: Y-tracery window to left of chancel. Cusped lancets to organ bay at right of chancel. Round-headed 3-light Intersecting tracery window to end of North transept. Irregular C19 fenestration to vestry at left of nave. Lancet with trefoil head to right of nave. Tower: west side; 4-centre arched doorway with carved spandrels and hood mould. 3-light Perpendicular tracery window above. Single-light glazed rectangular opening to each side of ringers chamber. Stair turret projects to south, with sundial. Battlemented parapet. Interior: 2-bay Queen-post roof with wind braces to chancel. Cusped piscina to right of altar. Some medieval glass fragments to side windows of chancel. C18 altar rail with wood baluster balustrade. C15 chancel screen with lancet-openings to top. C19 choir stalls. 2-centre chancel arch. 3-bay collar-truss roof to nave. C19 wood pulpit, and pews. C19 octagonal stone pillar supportingprobably C13 round stone font. 2-centre arch to tower. Round arch to transept with C17 transept screen. Memorials to Featherston family of Packwood Hall. Medieval wall paintings above chancel arch. History: tower built at the expense of Nicholas Brome, Lord of Baddesley Clinton manor, who discovered his wife being "chucked under the chin" by the parish priest and murdered him. In atonement he financed the tower at Packwood and at Baddesley Clinton churches. The transept was built for the Featherston family of Packwood House. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire 1966, p370; H.H. Fox: A New Guide to Packwood Church: guide book: 1985) [ 33]

Listing NGR: SP1699072811

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
308291
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Fox, H H , A New Guide to Packwood Church Warwickshire, (1985)
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 370

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06957/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Morphew. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].