BADDESLEY CLINTON HOUSE AND BRIDGE OVER MOAT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1035136

Date first listed: 11-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 16-Feb-1990

Statutory Address: BADDESLEY CLINTON HOUSE AND BRIDGE OVER MOAT

Map

Ordnance survey map of BADDESLEY CLINTON HOUSE AND BRIDGE OVER MOAT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1035136 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 14:04:20.

Location

Statutory Address: BADDESLEY CLINTON HOUSE AND BRIDGE OVER MOAT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Warwick (District Authority)

Parish: Baddesley Clinton

National Grid Reference: SP 19955 71469

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BADESLEY CLINTON SP 17 SE 1/1 Baddesley Clinton House 11.4.67 and bridge over moat (formerly listed as Baddesley Clinton Hall, including bridge over moat) GV I

Manor house. Late C15, on earlier site; south-east range refronted c.1736: late C19 service wing added to north-east side of south-west range designed and built by Edward Heneage Dering. Courtyard plan. North-east range: stone ashlar; old brick flues, bridge end stack to right with octagonal brick flue. 2-storey, 6-window range. Gatehouse at right of centre: 4-centred outer archway encloses 4-centred doorway with spandrels. Panelled and studded door to inner doorway. 6-light stone mullion and transom window to first floor. Battlemented parapet to gatehouse. 2-light stone mullion window with 4-centre arched heads to lights, at left of centre 3-light stone mullion window with 4-centre arched heads to lights, at right,. 5-light stone mullion window to left of centre. Two 3-light stone mullion windows, with flat stone arches having keystones, to left. Continuous hoodmould to right, and to left of centre. 4-light stone mullion window to first floor right. 3-light stone mullion window to first floor right of centre. 4-light stone mullion window to first floor left of centre. Two 3-light stone mullion window to first floor left. South-east range: red brick; old plain-tile roof; various brick stacks,with octagonal or diagonally set brick flues, 2 storey A-window range. Irregular fenestration, mostly of C18 three-light wood casements with segmental brick heads. south-west range: stone ashlar; old plain-tile roof; various brick stacks. 2-storey, 6-window range. Irregular fenestration, mostly of 3-light stone mullion windows. Single-storey addition to centre with hipped old plain-tile roof, has 2 round-arched blind recesses to moat. Wood casement window to ground floor. Courtyard: irregular fenestration. Interior: entrance hall has close-studded timber-framing to walls. Great hall has stone fireplace of decorative pillars supporting a frieze and atlantes flanking rectangular panel with round heraldic central panel with strapwork surroundings. Dining room has late C16 panelling and carved wood fireplace with pillars supporting a frieze and with richly carved central heraldic panel. Drawing room has C17 panelling and chimney piece placed here C18 Henry Ferrers' Bedroom, also known as the state bedroom has panelling and chimney-piece of c.1629. Other rooms also have panelling and carved chimney pieces. Bridge. Early C18. Red brick. 2 round arches, plain brick parapet. History: site held by the Clintons, then was bought by John Brome in 1438. Held by the Brome family, and passed by inheritance to the Ferrers family in 1517. Henry Ferrers (1549-1633) carried out much work at the house. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire: 1966, pp8l-82; Baddesley Clinton: national Trust Guide Book, 1986) (60)

Listing NGR: SP1995071467

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 308263

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Baddesley Clinton Guide Book, (1986)
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 81-82
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 42 Warwickshire,

End of official listing