HOSPITAL OF ROBERT DUDLEY EARL OF LEICESTER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1035441
Date first listed:
10-Jan-1953
Statutory Address:
HOSPITAL OF ROBERT DUDLEY EARL OF LEICESTER, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOSPITAL OF ROBERT DUDLEY EARL OF LEICESTER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1035441 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 22:02:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
HOSPITAL OF ROBERT DUDLEY EARL OF LEICESTER, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Warwick (District Authority)
Parish:
Warwick
National Grid Reference:
SP 28021 64742

Details

1. 1781 HIGH STREET (North Side) Hospital of Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester SP 2864 NW 1/290 10.1.53. I GV

2. Built round a courtyard. South range with Guildhall circa 1483. East range before 1400. North range with Master's House probably medieval, much restored with some C16 partitions and south wall. West wing with King James's Banqueting Hall, late medieval with modern facsimile west wall, fine early open timber roof with tiebeams. For full history see Transactions of Birtaimham Archaeological Society, Vol LX, 1936. Originally built by the Guild of St George and the Holy Trinity in C15, and taken by Lord Leicester in 1571 for the purpose of forming a pensioners' hospital. 2 storey plus attic. Heavy timber framing of various types, in fair state of repair, much of which is original close set studding. Extensive restoration in C18 and also about 1850, when timber framing was uncovered by removal of plaster and two small flush gables were added to the High Street elevation. Restored roof, mainly of old tiles. Internal features of considerable interest include open quadrangle with covered gallery, Guildhall (right hand side of main entrance), which was converted to the Brethren's Quarters in C18. VCH, viii, pp. 423-6.

Nos 54 and 56, and the Hospital of Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester, in High Street (North Side): Nos 1 and 1A Brook Street, and West Gate and St James's Chapel, all form a group.

Listing NGR: SP2802164742

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
307506
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1969)
'Transactions of the Birmingham Archaeological Society' in Transactions of the Birmingham Archaeological Society, , Vol. 60, (1936)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/09257/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].