CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1035703
Date first listed:
27-May-1964
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1035703 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jul-2019 at 04:01:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Pewsey
National Grid Reference:
SU 16367 59897

Details

SU 15 NE 13/74

PEWSEY CHURCH STREET (south side) Church of St. John the Baptist

27.5.64 I Anglican parish church. C13, C14, C15 and 1861 by G.E Street, restoration of 1889-90 by C.E Ponting. Flint and sarsen with limestone dressings. Nave and south aisle founded on large undressed sarsens. Tower ashlar. Roofs of lead, south aisle and porch of copper and chancel chapels of patterned coloured slate. Nave with north and south aisles. North porch, west tower.

Chancel with south chapel and north organ chamber with vestry. North porch of 1889, moulded door with quatrefoil spandrels within flanking stone frame. Crenellated gable, pinnacles and gargoyles, and niche with figure of St John. Windows late C13 lancets to chancel and reticulated east window. Two and three-light square headed windows to aisles and clerestorey, much restored. South chapel reused late C13-early C14 windows from chancel. Moulded doors to chapels. Tower of three stages, angle buttresses and two-light bell openings, crenellated parapet and crocketed pinnacles. Large five-light west window and moulded door under.

Interior: early C13 arcade of four uneven chamfered pointed arches and flat soffits pierced through earlier walls leaving square piers. Roof of five bays, C19 open rafters with tie beams and brackets to purlins. Door to rood screen. Interesting C19 murals of angels on interlaced background by Canon Bouverie, now covered over. Chancel arch tripartite, with round capitals and double chamfered arch. Through squint from south aisle. Chancel of four bays, with C19 open roof. Windows have depressed two-centred rere-arches and nook shafts. Bold trefoiled C13 piscina and double arched sedilia. Opening to north organ chamber and door to vestry with heating chamber below. Roof of timbers from Ivychurch Priory refectory. South chapel added 1861 by Street, extending aisle. Two arches on column to chancel. Tall tower arch and fan vault on corner shafts supporting ringing chamber. Floor raised by four steps. South aisle has cinquefoiled piscina.

Fittings: font under tower, C12 limestone bowl on five columns, restored, and fine suspended font cover of open carved oak by Canon Bernard Pleydell Bouverie commemorating Indian campaigns. Chancel fittings by Street, fully Tractarian, with carved font on stone base, lectern, choir stalls with boxes for hymnals and five steps to carved altar table, also by Canon Pleydell Bouverie, and carved reredos with painted panels. Glazed screen to south chapel. Elaborate carved chancel screen with rood loft now removed to choir vestry in north aisle. Organ of 1897 by Griffen and Stroud. Screen to organ chamber also C19, carved in relief. South chapel has inlaid alabaster reredos with central roundel of white marble depicting heads in deposition scene.

Monuments: in chancel, small foliated relief canopy in frame, set in wall. Three wall tablets, two to Pleydell Bouverie family and one of 1816, white marble on grey fields, books of learning and chalice on bracketed mantel, to Rev Joseph Townsend, Geologist and Rector, by Westmacott. Also two C19 brasses

In south chapel, wall monument, C17, oval slate panel in deeply carved and painted strapwork surround, to Katherine Harding, wife of Groom of Bedchamber to Charles II, died in Holland 1645. In south aisle, seven wall tablets, including a pair of oval inlaid marble monuments with crests, to Robert Hopper, died 1782, and William Hopper, died 1791, and relations. Also limestone aedicule with broken pediment, to Richard Hopper, died 1766, and marble panel with crested pediment to Henry Deacon of Oare House (q.v.) wine merchant, died 1757, and sister. Three early C19 tablets to Charlotte Clapton, 1828, by Harrison of Buckingham, and William Winter, by Wood of Bristol, 1824.

In north aisle, 13 wall monuments of late C18-mid C19, and one monument in organ chamber, urn on coloured field, to Briant Chandler, died 1823.

The Rev F. Pleydell Bouverie, rector 1816-1857 was from Oriel College and was connected with the Oxford Movement.

Listing NGR: SU1636959895

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
311705
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1963)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/00324/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Andy Domeracki. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].