Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of OARE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1035754 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 14:35:13.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 15597 63012


WILCOT OARE SU 16 SE (west side)

6/188 Oare House 4.6.52 GV I

Large house. 1740, mid C19, and 1921-5 by Clough Williams-Ellis. Original house for Henry Deacon, wine merchant of London. Red and blue vitrified brick with concealed roof. Central block 2 rooms deep with link to forward wings. Large drawing room added on south c1840, remodelled 1921 and extended at rear as library in 1925. North wing extended 1921 and later. Three storeys and cellars. Entrance elevation of 5 bays, the 3 central bays broken forward with pediment and central 8-panelled door within Ionic portico. Brick cornice over ground floor and first floor windows with triangular and flat pediments. Other windows later C18 twelve-pane sashes, 6-pane sashes to second floor. Raised parapet clasping dentilled pediment, and urn finials. Rainwater hoppers signed HD 1740. Timber cupola with bell. Flanking wings are of 2 bays with Venetian window motif on ground floor and low pitched gables with stacks. Garden elevation similar but simple 5 bays with central door in Roman Doric portico over steps and no pediment. This block extended either side, the right side probably refaced 1921 to match new left side. C18 brick (reclaimed from Upper Huish) with 3 close-spaced round headed windows, and 32-pane sashes on first floor, some blind. Balustered openings in parapet to flat roof. This facade extended both sides as garden wall (q.v.). Interior: remodelled in C20, cross hall with cedar stair, C18 style with turned balusters, possibly original resited. Fielded panelling and chair rail, and marble fireplace. Saloon to rear and small sitting room both panelled with marble fireplaces. Drawing room with mid C19 fireplace also marble and library with columns in antis, 1925. 1920's work carried out for Sir Geoffrey and Lady Alathea Fry, private secretary to Bonar Law and Stanley Baldwin. Clough Williams-Ellis also laid out gardens. The war cabinet met secretly in the house in the 1939-45 war.

Listing NGR: SU1559763012


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].