CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1035786
Date first listed:
19-Mar-1962
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1035786 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 13:25:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Cheverell Magna
National Grid Reference:
ST 98064 54307

Details

CHEVERELL MAGNA CHURCH STREET ST 95 SE (south side) 5/13 Church of St Peter 19.3.62 I Anglican parish church. Cll, C13, C14-C15, and restored 1868 by W.H. Woodman of Reading. Limestone ashlar, greensand burr foundation to tower, chancel of malmstone and flint. Stone tiled roof. Nave with south porch, chancel with C19 north vestry, north chapel, and west tower. Chancel probably Cll, herringbone walling, with inserted C13 lancets, one each side, a low side C14 window and C19 three-light east window. South priest's door blocked. Nave late C14-early C15 square headed windows of 3 lights. South porch added, probably early C15, has angle buttresses and 4-centred outer doorway. C14 west tower, possibly incorporating earlier work, limestone with flint panels, a tall lower stage and raised in C15 with bell stage with 2-light openings and octagonal stair tower rising above crenellated parapet. Windvane. Three-light west window, restored and asymmetrical small door below. Interior: C15 porch has high side sills and late C14 inner door with pointed arch. Trussed rafter roof with knee braces and curved ashlars. Remains of stoup. Door also probably C15, cross boarded with clenched studs. Lock of C18. Nave rendered and colourwashed in C19. C15-C16 barrel vault with moulded wall plates and ribs and stretchers dividing plaster panels. Carved bosses at intersections. Tower arch double hollow chamfered. Chancel arch C19, Bath stone, of same width as chancel and inner attached shafts and capitals. C14 two-bay arcade to south chapel, with wave moulded pier with pig-nosed inner moulding on attached shafts and caps. North chapel has excellent low pitched roof divided into square panels with moulded timbers having leaf carvings at intersections, those to west end altered in restoration of 1699. Chancel has 3-bay steeply pitched C19 open rafter roof on stone corbels. Moulded string course across east end, and C14 trefoiled piscina with asymmetrical lobed sink. Moulded corbel on north side, and low sepulchre or tomb recess. Ceiling painted at west end C17. Fittings: Font, C13 octagonal with simple trefoiled arches, on round base and column. Pulpit, C20 with linenfold panels. Pews, C19. Altar, a C17 table with 2 x 1 arches with pendants, on triple columns. Furniture: C17 parish chest in chapel with linenfold panels, and a smaller C18 chest. Monuments: In nave, south wall, 3 wall tablets. From east, (a) white marble on black painted wood, to Rev. Robert Atkinson, died 1873. (b) Inset white marble square, to Sir James Stonehouse, rector, died 1795, and (c) white marble on slate, to Sir Alexander Barnett, curate, died 1857. In chancel, white marble tablet with cornice, urn over and ball finial on ends, low table and apron, to Walter Post, rector, died 1772 and predeceased members of family. South side: Framed limestone tablet, divided vertically, to Mary Hayes, died 1720, Elizabeth Hayes, died 1726 and Rev. John Hayes, died 1731. In north chapel, a fine wall monument in limestone and veined marble. Raised inscribed tablet with draped baldacchino over, flanking flute columns carrying arched cornice, coloured and mantled arms over and flaming torches at ends; below, a gadrooned table supported on brackets and relief sprays of foliage on apron: to James Townsend, died 1730, and Katherine his wife, died 1737. Also in chapel, a draped shield tablet of marble on a shaped grey marble field, to Ann Long, died 1792. On external walls of church, 2 wall monuments. On south nave wall C18, limestone, raised panel with flanking panelled pilasters. Hollow cornice and triangular gable. Fluted apron on bracket. Unidentified. On east wall of porch, a limestone tablet, C18, a slab with beaded arris and inscription in lined panel. Moulded cornice over. Unidentified dedication, date of death 175-. Also a lightly incised inscription on south nave wall, with arched head, to John Applegath, and Mary, died 1717 and 1718. Church clock reputed to be of 1629. (Pevsner: Buildings of England, Wiltshire; VCH.x)

Listing NGR: ST9806254309

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
311917
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)
Pugh, RB, Crittall, E, The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jan 2002
Reference: IOE01/04600/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Gill Cardy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].