Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1035800

Date first listed: 19-Mar-1962

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, B3098


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1035800 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jan-2019 at 02:34:19.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, B3098

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Cheverell Parva

National Grid Reference: ST 99049 53552


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


CHEVERELL PARVA B3098 ST 95 SE (south side) 5/44 Church of St Peter 19.3.62 II Anglican parish church, C13-C14 and 1850 by Thomas Cundy. Tower of limestone ashlar, remainder C19 of greensand rubble with limestone dressings. Stone slate roofs. Nave with north porch. Chancel with lean-to north vestry, C13 tower at west end, squat, with angle buttresses and west door. Three-light C14 window over. Trefoil headed light above and small simple rectangular openings to bell chamber with monolithic jambs. Pyramidal roof with windvane and clock on north face. Nave has 2-light window with foiled heads. Three-light east window with intersecting tracery and hoodmould on uncarved terminals. Buttresses on south side. South porch gabled, with terminal cross and wave moulded outer door probably from original church. Inner door chamfered. Interior: Nave has open roof of 4 bays, arch braced collar trusses on wall corbels. Tall unmoulded tower arch. Chamfered chancel arch of 2 orders, dying into responds. Chancel flagged. Reset C14 trefoil headed doorway, to vestry, which has small fireplace. South chancel window lowered as seat. East window by Mayer of Norwich. Fittings: Font, C15, octagonal, with quatrefoiled panels. Pulpit, C19 plain part octagon with raised candleholders to reading desk. Reredos, a small gadrooned oak relief of the Last Supper, C18 or later. Sanctuary rail on iron supports. Pews, mid C19. Organ, a small upright organ in gothic case, probably early C19. Monuments: In chancel, white marble wall tablet to Rev William Richards, died 1823, and wife. Under tower, two C18 wall monuments, (a) waisted shield with carved surround, to Edward Alexander, died 1740 and later family. (b) Oval tablet, limestone, with painted and gilded surround, elongated, carved with laced curtaining. Garlanded urn over. To Mary Alexander, died 1790 and other members of family. (Pevsner, Buildings of England: Wiltshire)

Listing NGR: ST9904953552


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 311948

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

End of official listing