CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1035807
Date first listed:
19-Mar-1962
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1035807 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 01:28:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Chirton
National Grid Reference:
SU 07341 57641

Details

CHIRTON THE STREET SU 05 NE (north end) 3/67 Church of St John the Baptist 19.3.62 I Anglican parish church. c.1170, C14, C15 and restored 1850 by William Butterfield. Limestone ashlar with stone slate roofs, lead to aisles. Nave with wide north and south aisles; south porch, chancel with north C19 vestry, and a west tower. South porch, C15, with 4-centred hollow chamfered arch and angle buttresses. South aisle has one C14 three-light window with elaborate tracery, and C14 east window to north aisle. Remainder 2-light windows. Chancel has C19 three-light east window, 2-light windows and ovolo- moulded low side window. South priest's door. Tall chimney on south-east buttress of aisle. Tower of 3 stages, with angle buttresses, perforated bell openings, and crenellated parapet. Three-light west window. Interior: Fine inner door of late C12, lined internally with C14 arch. Outer orders of continuous chevron enclosed by torus bearing beak-head decoration, scalloped capitals and nook shafts. Nave arcades of 3 bays, plain round arches on a variety of reworked late C12 capitals and round columns. Open roof, also c.1200, four bays, with billet moulded tie beams and inner wall plates, trussed rafters wth curved ashlars and knee braces to collars, and single clasped purlins. Curved windbraces above purlins. Low C14 piscina probably reset with carving in lobed bowl, in south aisle. Chancel has south window sill lowered as sedilia and piscina. Chamfered round chancel arch of same width as chancel. C19 trussed rafter roof, underdrawn with plaster in eastern bay. Stone C12 guilloche string across east end. Tower arch probably C15, three orders dying into imposts. Glass: In porch windows, C15 yellow stained King of Heaven with two kneeling angels, and in side window, a head, crown and other motifs. Chancel windows by Wailes. Fittings: Font, a fine C12 drum with 12 apostles standing within continuous arcade, reset on C19 drum. Pulpit, C19 oak octagon on stone base. Hatchments: Under tower, five hatchments, (a) Ernle impaling Hungerford, (b) Yerbury impaling Ernle, for Elizabeth Warriner, died 1757, (c) Gifford Warriner, died 1787, (d) Yerbury impaling Long, for Anne Warriner, died 1815, and (e) Warriner and Ernle impaling or. Not identified. Over chancel arch. Royal arms of house George III of Hanover. The church was acquired by Llanthony Priory in 1167. Monuments: North Aisle: Alabaster surround to slate panel with gilded lettering, crest over, badge below. To Rt. Hon Sir Frederick Hugh Sykes, inter alia 1st Commander of RFC, died 1954. Sjt Leslie Thinwood, died 1945. South Aisle: Wall monument, c.1880, limestone arched recess between crenellated pilasters over table. Long inscription to Isaac Warriner of Conock, died 1752. Tablet: White marble on black, by Denman of London, to Maj. Gen C.S. Fagan of Conock Manor House, died 1842. Under tower: (a) White marble tablet C18, to William Hayward, died 1765, and family. (b) Limestone. Gadrooned top and fluted pilasters either side of painted raised panel. Apron below, to Richard Yerbury, died 1740. Furniture: In chancel a fine C17 oak arm chair. (Pevsner, Buildings of England: Wiltshire)

Listing NGR: SU0734057641

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
311971
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Dec 2002
Reference: IOE01/09741/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Rendle. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].