This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1035827

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Marden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 19-Mar-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 312016

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MARDEN THE STREET SU 05 NE (west side) 3/112 Church of All Saints 19.3.62 GV I Anglican parish church. Late C12, under patronage of Bradenstoke Priory, C15, and restored 1885 by C.E. Ponting. Sarsen and greensand rubble with limestone quoins and dressings, on sarsen foundations. Tower of limestone ashlar. Chancel of flint with limestone banding, east gable of brick. Nave has lead roof, other roofs of stone slates. Nave, with C19 south porch replacing earlier timber porch, chancel, and west tower. Nave C12 but largely rebuilt on earlier walls in C15. North-west section rebuilt or faced in C19. Two-light square-headed windows with ogee tracery, the south-west window reset in C19 restoration. Chancel C15, rebuilt 1885, has cinquefoiled and trefoiled windows and reset C15 south priest's door. Tower of 3 stages, with angle buttresses having crocketed pinnacles rising from offsets, and crenellated parapet, the top section rebuilt in C19. Angled south-east stair tower rising above parapet with sundial gnomon and crowning windvane. Inner door of porch rich C12 work, with guilloche hoodmould and chevron inner order set on tall nook shafts. Further inner order of ornamented chevron or chain enclosing a torus moulding to square headed door, the tympanum over plain. Numerous crosses incised on jambs. Door C17, cross boarded with cover mouldings and heavy lock case. Interior: Nave plastered. C15 low pitched panelled roof with moulded and arcaded tie beams on posts to large carved corbels. Chancel arch excellent C12 work of 3 orders, a variety of chevrons and rolls, with a hollow chamfered outer hood, possibly later. Capitals extend as string with 'jelly-mould' ornamentation. Tower arch, tall, C15, with inner respond shafts, hollow chamfers and outer ogee moulding treated as columns. Upper rood door on north wall blocked. Chancel has C19 open trussed rafter roof and tiled floor. Aumbry in west wall. Fittings: Font, under tower, a plain octagonal bowl on slender octagonal shaft, C13 or C14. Pulpit: C17, raised octagon in oak panelling, with backboard and octagonal tester with carved frieze, cornice and pendants, supported from wall by ornamental iron tie. Brass candle-holders. Brass lectern. Altar rail of oak on elaborate iron scrolled and painted stanchions. Furniture: C17 cane-backed arm chair. Small Estey harmonium. C18 table with turned legs and stretchers, and a C19 Turcoman-Balouchi rug. Glass: Two windows 1958 by Kettlewell. Royal arms of George III, 1772 over chancel arch. Monuments: In chancel, seven Hayward wall monuments. North side, from east a) Limestone tablet with pilasters, cornice with terminal torches, and apron supported by elemental skull. To Mrs Jane Hayward, died 1761. b) Similar, to Philip Hayward of Orcheston, died 1760. c) Tablet with fluted pilasters, cornice and scrolled pediment with central urn and torches. Apron under. To John Hayward, died 1778. South side, from east: d) White marble tablet on black, to Betty Hayward, died 1864. e) Painted limestone, two arched panels defined by leafy shafts. Arched pediment containing putto, urns on gable ends. Drapes under, also with putto. To William Hayward, died 1729, Mary, died 1734 and son Philip, died 1703. West wall: f) Grey and white marbles. Corniced panel with fluted pilasters. Grey pyramid over with tall white urn. To William Hayward, died 1806, and relatives. In nave, a Gothic aedicule, limestone on grey slate field, white marble panel within architectural frame. Arms over. To Elizabeth Neate, died 1840. On north wall: white marble cushioned tablet on grey, by Harrison. Panel carved with lamp over. To Martha Young, died 1832, and relatives. White marble on gabled black field. Flared brackets. To Bridget Wadley, died 1827. Brass Great War memorial. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, WILTSHIRE)

Listing NGR: SU0861757877

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pugh, RB, Crittall, E, The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire, (1975)

National Grid Reference: SU 08620 57876

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1035827 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2018 at 11:19:00.

End of official listing