Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1035940.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 02:09:14.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 29922 54013


CHUTE UPPER CHUTE SU 25 SE 9/90 Church of St Nicholas II

Anglican parish church. 1876-9 by J.L. Pearson. Flint with brick dressings, slate roofs. Nave and chancel, south organ chamber, south porch and vestry at right angles to chancel, south west tower with spire. Early English Geometric style, with bar tracery and hoodmoulds to windows, 3-light east window, 4-light west window, and mid wall string. Brick buttresses. Tower of 3 stages. Deep set 2-light bell openings. Broach spire clad in slate. Clock in stone frame on west face. Porch has 2-centred arch on impost shafts and with similar-inner door with nook shafts. Scrolled hinges to doors. Interior: Wide nave of 6 narrow bays, plastered, with sill moulding and wide embrasures to windows. Collar beam trusses with solid arch braces, and lower straight brace to wall. Chancel arch with an inner chamfered order on corbels, and low screen walls. Chancel of 3 bays. Stone banding and wide window embrasures. Tiled floor. Priest's door on southside and piscina with heavy ball flower decoration, probably from earlier church on same site. Trussed rafter roof. Vestry has angle fireplace. Organ chamber like south transept has trussed rafter roof. Fittings: Font at west end, C12 conical bowl with crude zig-zag and chevron decoration. Carved oak pyramidal cover of C19. Glass: South nave window of 1882. East window and north chancel window by Clayton and Bell. Monuments: Chancel, north side: Four wall tablets. a) Mid C19. White marble on black. A shaped panel with scrolled support and arms. Incurved fluted sides. To William Fowle of Chute Lodge, died 1840, and wife, died 1842. b) Smaller panel by Osmund, with pilasters, draped urn over. To William T. Fowle, son, died 1837, George Fowle and Revd. Henry Fowle added. c) Plain white marble tablet on grey, to Thomas Fowle died 1877. d) Oval engraved slate to Sybil Eccles of Dean Farm, died 1977. South side: Four wall monuments: a) White marble framed in black. To Elizabeth Earle, died 1780, and brother. b) C18 aedicule in various coloured marbles. Square panel, pediment over, scrolls at sides and apron. To Lady Scroges of Chute Lodge, died 1746. c) Lozenge marble tablet. A hanging opened scroll, arms over, to Samuel Collins, died 1679. d) Plain marble on grey. To Emma Everett, died 1888. In nave, basalt floor slab to Sir Sidney Medows, Knight Marshall of England, died 1792. Gothic aedicule, white marble on grey, to Lady Augusta Wellesley of Conholt Park, died 1893. In organ chamber: Three wall tablets: a) Plain white marble on grey, to Sydney Scroggs and wife, died 1845. b) Oval cushioned tablet on greysquare. Italic inscription to Edward Scroggs, died 1784, and wife. c) White marble within grey slate frame. To Evelyn Medows, died 1824. Brass: Italic brass plate reset in church denoting gift of pump and tank for use of poor cottagers during very dry summers. Nov. 25th 1868. Furniture: An indo-Persian carpet.

Listing NGR: SU2992254013


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].