CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1035950

Date first listed: 27-May-1964

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1035950 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 15:33:12.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Collingbourne Ducis

National Grid Reference: SU 24218 53667

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

COLLINGBOURNE DUCIS CHURCH STREET SU 25 SW (north side) 8/108 Church of St Andrew 27.5.64 II*

Anglican parish church. C12, C14-early C15, restored by G.E. Street 1856, and in 1877 by Sir Arthur Blomfield, again in 1902. Flint and brick with limestone dressings, tiled roofs. C12 nave with aisles and south porch of 1877. Chancel, heavily restored 1856 and vestry added. West tower. Aisle windows, 2 and 3-light square headed, C14-C15 mostly replaced C19. Chancel has C14 type 2-light windows with 3 and 4-foiled heads. Three-light east window. Rectangular west tower of 3 stages, with angle buttresses and large 3-light west window. Pigeon opening with ledges and stair in south-east corner. Crenellated parapet with corner pinnacles. Interior: Inner door, C15, four centred and 2 hollow chamfered. Nave, plastered in C19. Late C12 arcades of 3 bays, both with round columns and square abaci to varied scalloped capitals. C19 roof of 3 bays. Lean-to aisles under continuation of roof. Chancel arch 1877 on stretched corbels. Open timber roof of 4 bays with arch braces and moulded purlins. Sill of south-east window dropped as sedilia, and piscina on south, holy vessel shelf on north. Organ chamber opening on north side. Tower has dovecote around walls of middle stage. Fittings: All C19. Simple stone cup bowl font on column. Carved oak pulpit. Panelled reredos. Sanctuary rail, and choir stalls and pews. Glass: C19 west window by Ward & Hughes, 1887. East window 1878. Monuments: Nave has two C20 polished terazzo tablets, (a) 1961, to Rev Arthur Brown, (b) 1961, to Rev Philip Ormsby. Brasses: In chancel, 1631, to Edward Saintmaur (Seymour) aged 11 months, epitaph and engraved portrait. Also three x C19 brasses. North Aisle: Painted stone tablet to John Vincent, died 1756. Organ chamber: White and grey marble tablet by King of Bath, to Rev William Tomlins, died 1788. Under tower: Charity board, 1862 recording legacy of George Hooper of £3 a year to the oldest widows of the parish.

Listing NGR: SU2421853667

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 312319

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing