CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1035994

Date first listed: 27-May-1964

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, A342

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1035994 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 18:01:17.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, A342

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Everleigh

National Grid Reference: SU 19826 54160

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EVERLEIGH A342 SU 15 SE (south side) 7/219 Church of St Peter 27.5.64 II*

Redundant Anglican parish church. 1813. By John Morlidge for F.D. Astley. Bath limestone ashlar, lead roof to nave and slate to chancel. Tall square nave with south porch, short chancel, south vestry and west tower, all in a simple Gothic style. Nave has tall 2-light windows with cusped heads and hoodmoulds, and a crenellated parapet. Slender corner buttresses. Porch has moulded Tudor doorhead and steeply raked crenellated gable. Chancel, also crenellated, has thin buttresses and 3-light east window. Tower of 3 stages, with plain Y-tracery window over west door, pierced screens to ringing and bell stage. Crenellated parapet and crocketed corner pinnacles. Vestry has octagonal buttresses rising above parapet and terminating in crenellated crowns. Interior: Nave flagged and plastered. Roof of 7 bays, hammmer beam trusses and open panel work above shallow arch. Stone reveals to windows. Tall chancel arch with double nook shafts to each arris. Panelled organ gallery at west end supported on cast iron columns, canted back at ends. Chancel of 4 roof bays. Tiled floor. Steps to altar and sill of east window set low. Wide chamfered arch to vestry with an angled fireplace. Fittings: Font, at west end. C12, with minimal scallops to plain bowl. Second C19 font by chancel arch, early C19, octagonal, trumpet shaped. Pulpit of oak, 3-sided panelled, with steps and handrail. Choir stalls 1900 with traceried high backs and carved crestings. Nave pews, also 1813, simple, but carved bookstand to front pew on south side. Monuments: North side of nave: a) Large wall monument on 2 limestone arches. White marble frame with grey marble slab carrying inset metal lettering, to Francis Dugdale Astley, founder of the church, died 1818. Frame has octagonal panelled pilasters and inner vine scroll developing into 3 elaborately crocketed ogee arches and foliated pendants. On shelf below quatrefoiled base are three Parian ornaments, two winged angels, and a central octagonal vessel decorated with gothic panels, marked 'St Mary's, Nottingham'. b) Wall monument, 1824. Two stage white marble sarcophagus against grey marble field, by W. Gibbs, Andover. To Sir Dugdale Astley, Bt. died 1842, and wife Sarah, 1824. c) White marble tablet in open frame, sarcophagus over, all on grey marble background. To Arthur John Astley, died 1831. d) White marble on grey, to Emily Astley, child, died 1837. e) White marble scroll on grey by Sanders, London. To Ethel Chapman, nee Astley, died 1871. In chancel: 8 wall monuments: a) Engraved slate, to Rev Walter Garrett, died 1716, and wife. b) White marble tablet. To Edward Starkey, died 1779, and family. c) Slate slab, to Rev Thomas Earnle, died 1690. d) Marble slab, to John Wallis RD, Professor of Arabic at Oxford. e)f)g) Three Astley monuments including a small marble chest inset in niche in wall, 1915. h) White marble scroll on marbled grey slab, to Susan Astley, nee Bouverie, died 1854. Brasses: In chancel (1) Rev John Neet, died 1429; (2) Susanna Tesdale, died 1650, with homily; and (3) Mary Samwell of Lavington, died 1811. In nave, a framed royal arms of George II, and 3 hatchments (A) Sir John Astley, died 1771, (B) Francis Dugdaie Astley died 1818, and (C) Sarah, Lady Astley, died 1824. (Pevsner: Buildings of England: Wiltshire; P. Summers, Hatchments in Britain, 4)

Listing NGR: SU1982654160

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 312425

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1963)
'Hatchments in Britain' in Northamptonshire, Warwickshire and Worcestershire, , Vol. 4, (1974)

End of official listing