CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1036009
Date first listed:
13-Jun-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, PLASSEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1036009 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jul-2019 at 10:25:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, PLASSEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Tidworth
National Grid Reference:
SU 23447 49017

Details

NORTH TIDWORTH PLASSEY ROAD SU 24 NW (south side) 11/254 Church of the Holy Trinity II*

Anglican parish church. Late C14, C15 and restored in C19, but probably containing earlier fabric in tower. Flint and stone, stone quoins, all much repaired in brick C18 to C20. Tiled roofs. Nave with south porch and west tower. Chancel and north organ chamber. Vestry C19 added to north side of tower. Nave has 3- light cinquefoiled cusping within square heads. Chancel 2-light cusped windows but 3-light east window. Tower squat and broad, of 3 stages, with angle buttress on south west corner. C17-C18 brick quoining to upper stages and south window to bell stage. Brick parapet. South porch C15, with C19 gable, hollow chamfered outer door, 2-centred C14 inner door and a trefoiled stoup to right. North door blocked. Interior: Nave plastered and whitewashed. Roof of four bays with heavy crown post trusses, moulded tie-beams and open rafters Lower door to rood stair has hollow chamfer and a good niche with cinquefoiled head and naive pilaster buttresses. Piscina on south wall. Chancel arch has 3 respond shafts between hollow mouldings. Tower arch similar, 3 respond columns and plain chamfered capitals, and arch of 3 hollow orders. Chancel of 3 bays with opening to north organ chamber. C19 roof on stone corbels. Trefoiled piscina with traces of red paint. Fittings: Font late C12, square, with semicircular apron to each side, set on short columns and stepped base. Pulpit C19 oak part-octagon on stone base. Rood Beam, 1919, oak carved with vine scroll and crestings, carrying Crucifixion. Organ by Bevington and Sons. Monuments: Nave, south side, wall tablet, white marble on black by Gibbs of Andover, panel with cornice and fluted pilasters, draped urn over, apron below, to Sarah Taylor, died 1841. Under tower: Framed brass to Thomas Pierce, Dean of Sarum, died 1691 and his French wife, erected by their son.

Listing NGR: SU2344749017

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
312461
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/10815/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Rendle. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].