- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- BOYTON MANOR
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1036346 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Jul-2019 at 17:58:55.
- Statutory Address:
- BOYTON MANOR
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 95057 39544
BOYTON BOYTON VILLAGE
ST 93 NE
Country house. 1618 for Thomas Lambert, 1930s staff accommodation. Rendered limestone, tiled triple gabled roof, diagonally-set ashlar stacks with moulded cappings. Square plan. Two storey and attic, 5 windows. Central 2-storey porch with square headed moulded doorcase, half-glazed door and Ionic columns to entablature with stone urns to ground floor, upper storey has Corinthian pilasters to entablature and 3-light transomed and mullioned casement. Ground and first floor either side of porch have cross windows and 3-light mullioned and transomed casements, lintel string courses; three attic gables with 3-light ovolo-mullioned casement with hoodmould, saddleback coping and ball finials. Garden front to left return has central half-glazed door in large pilastered porch with broken segmental pediment, of c.1700, either side is 3-light mullioned and transomed casement, first floor has cross window over door, mullioned and transomed casement either side, lintel string courses, three attic gables each with 3-light ovolo-mullioned casement with hoodmould and saddleback, coping, lead rainwater heads dated 1935/SH. Right return has 2-storey projecting stair bay with mullioned and transomed casement to left, ground floor has 2-light ovolo-mullioned casement, two mullioned and transomed casements, one with C20 doorcase inserted, first floor has cross window and two mullioned and transomed casements, three attic gables as front. Rear has three 3-light mulioned and transomed casements to ground and first floor, attic gables as front. Interior not accessible at time of survey (May 1985), but said to retain original Jacobean features. Original open well stairs on north side of house with carved splat balusters and closed string, stairs on south side have barley sugar balusters and fine plaster ceiling over with garlands in coving. Latter stairs and a morning room with walnut panelling were alterations made for Edmund Lambert c.1700. Principal room on first floor over entrance hall and incorporating upper storey of porch has good oak wainscot panelling with fluted pilasters, strapwork frieze, plaster ceiling with thin ribs and stone square moulded fireplace with Doric columns to dentilled entablature. First floor bedrooms with similar wainscot panelling, panelled oak doors. Early C20 2-storey service accommodation around square courtyard, attached to north-east corner of main house; rendered with hipped tiled roof, stone ovolo- mullioned casements to south side and leaded casements to north side and courtyard. (Country Life, Vol 28, 1910, P.262; N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975).
Listing NGR: ST9506839555
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 28, (1910), 262
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing