CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1036423
Date first listed:
11-Sep-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, DUCK STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1036423 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jul-2019 at 03:25:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, DUCK STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Sutton Veny
National Grid Reference:
ST 90849 41520

Details

SUTTON VENY DUCK STREET ST 94 SW (off south side) 4/220 Church of St. Leonard 11.9.68

GV II

Anglican parish church, now redundant. C12, C13, C16, chancel arch blocked and west part of church partly dismantled 1868, declared redundant 1970. Rubble stone, tiled roof with hip to east end of chancel. Former cruciform church with crossing tower, now only chancel is intact. South side of partly dismantled nave has double-chamfered pointed doorway with cusped niche over, string course and two former windows either side, transept mostly demolished. South side of chancel has blocked central pointed doorway and blocked 3-light C16 window with Tudor-arched lights, clasping buttresses to east end; C19 three-light Perpendicular- style window with bolection-moulded tablet to Anne Holland died 1728 to left and tablet to William Lawes died 1794 to right. North side of chancel has blocked lancet and two deeply chamfered lancets, blocked Tudor-arched doorway. Dismantled north transept. North side of nave has three blocked windows, round-arched C12 doorway with water leaf and stiff leaf capitals, missing tympanum. West end has Tudor-arched doorway, formerly with windows over. Interior of former nave retains trefoiled piscina on south wall, C13 crossing with triple chamfered arches on chamfered responds. Interior of chancel reroofed 1868 to provide mortuary chapel to Church of St. John, completed same year, Tudor-arched doorway set in blocked chancel arch. C12 cylindrical font set on reused pier base. Fine collection of C18 and C19 wall tablets brought together in chancel, many signed examples including classical marbles to Rev. Brounker Thring died 1812, by King of Bath, to Giles Halliday died 1827, by Reeves of Bath, and a large classical marble to Hinton family by Randall of London. Earlier tablets include one of 1693 with good lettering to Margaret Bayly. Royal Arms of George IV over doorway and several prayer and benefaction boards. Good C19 stained glass in lancets on north side. (VCH, Wiltshire, Vol 8, 1965; N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England - Wiltshire, 1975).

Listing NGR: ST9084941520

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
313442
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)
Pugh, RB, Crittall, E, The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire, (1965)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02471/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Geraldine Bunn. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].