CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1036441

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1968

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHITTERNE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1036441 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 23:29:57.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHITTERNE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Chitterne

National Grid Reference: ST 99206 44054

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHITTERNE CHITTERNE ROAD ST 94 SE (east side) 4/9 Church of All Saints 11.9.68 GV II* Anglican parish church. 1863 by T.H. Wyatt. Chequered flint and limestone, tiled nave roof, aisle roofs are Welsh slate. Plan: West tower over entrance, nave with lean-to aisles, chancel and north vestry. Three-stage tower with diagonal buttresses and string courses, west entrance with double-chamfered pointed archway, double planked doors and square hoodmould, north and south sides of first and second stages have cusped lancets, west side of second stage has 3-light pointed Perpendicular window, circular clockface over, bellstage has 2-light mullioned louvres with pointed lights, string course with gargoyles to battlemented parapet. West ends of aisle have 3-light Perpendicular windows. South aisle has two 2-light square-headed window with cusped lights, C15 three-light window with ogee cusped lights and a pair of C14 ogee cusped lights to right, both reset from Church of St Mary (q.v.). Clerestory with four 2-light windows with cusped lights, east end of aisle has 3-light pointed windows. Chancel has 2-light C19 Perpendicular window to south, polygonal east end with three 2-light windows, vestry on north side with ashlar stack and 2-light windows, chamfered doorway with curved corners. North aisle has one 2-light and one 3-light C15 window with cusped lights to left, C14 three-light window with ogee cusping to right; all from demolished Church of All Saints, C19 gabled porch with double chamfered pointed doorway to right. Clerestory as south side. Interior: Entrance in tower with tall double-chamfered tower arch to nave; C19 wooden screen. Nave has flagstone floor, 4-bay deep-arch-braced collar truss roof on moulded stone corbels with plainer collar trusses to half-bays. Four-bay arcades to aisles have double-chamfered pointed arches on octagonal piers, lean-to roofs with exposed rafters and principals on stone corbels. High pointed chancel arch with painted Biblical inscription over, short sections of low C15 stone screen with quatrefoils to sides, chancel floored with polychrome tiles, arch-braced polygonal roof on corbels. Fittings: C12 cylindrical stone font at west end of nave, brought here from Church of St Mary, 1767 wooden cover made by James Townsend. C17 carved wooden polygonal pulpit on C19 stone base, also from Church of St Mary. C19 chancel and nave seating. Plaster relief Royal Arms of 1863 over tower arch. Chancel stained glass by Cox Sons, Buckley and Co., 1900, east window of south aisle has 1914-18 war memorial stained glass by Humphries, Jackson and Amble of Manchester. Collection of C18 and C19 memorial tablets in tower including large white marble to Charles Michell died 1704, erected 1749, marble to Commodore Matthew Michell died 1752 with a relief-carved ship on the apron, marble with a woman and an urn to Phillis Rooke died 1795. This church cost £2404, replacing the Medieval Church of All Saints across the road, demolished 1877; it is a very convincing study carried out in the local style. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975; Unpublished records of RCHM (E), Salisbury; Guide in Church)

Listing NGR: ST9920644054

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 313482

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of the City of Salisbury, (1981)
Church of All Saints Guide
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

End of official listing