Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of HINTLESHAM HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1036917 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jul-2019 at 09:30:23.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Babergh (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TM 08317 43823


TM 04 SE HINTLESHAM HADLEIGH ROAD 3/26 Hintlesham Hall 22.2.55 - I Country house, now hotel. Core of c1576, altered 1680's by Henry Timperley, remodelled c1725-40 by Richard Powys. Brick, the main facade rendered, with stone dressings, hipped plain tile roofs. Originally E-plan, the centre arm either removed or incorporated in the C18 facade. 2 storeys and attics. Symmetrical south west facade in 5 bays, flanked by 4 bay wings with 2 bay south west elevations, arranged 2:1:1:1:1:1:2. Rusticated ground floor to main range, rusticated quoins to wings. Rendered parapets, moulded cornice, first floor rendered band. Central doorway flanked by superimposed orders; at ground floor of paired engaged unfluted Ionic columns, beneath entablature with modillion cornice, at first floor by Corinthian pilasters beneath pediment contained within the parapet. Entrance through pair of glazed doors with margin lights below overlights with glazing bars forming semi-circle. Similar French windows to left and right, with semi-circular heads, glazed with margin lights, and beneath arches with raised keystones, the fenestration all of 1819, filling originally open arches. First floor: A central Palladian window with grotesque keystone mask, and beneath lunette within the pediment. To each side, full height sashes with heavy glazing bars, those in the outer bays, pedimented, and the bays articulated by Corinthian pilasters between the windows, linked by a cornice to the central feature. Inner flanks of the wing identical but asymmetrical, 4 sashes with heavy glazing bars to each floor, and between the first and second bays, a blind doorway. Pedimented doorcase with Ionic pilasters, pulvinated frieze, modillion cornice, panelled reveals, 8-panel fielded door. Identical west elevations to the wings, each of 2 bays, with sashes with glazing bars to each floor. Rear: C16 brickwork with diaper patterning in right hand bay and stack. Irregular gabled bays alternate with massive stacks, offset above the eaves, and with grouped octagonal shafts. 2½ storeys 3:3:3, sashes with glazing bars including 4 ground floor French windows. 2:2:2 dormer sashes with glazing bars. South East Elevation: C16, C18 and C19. Asymmetrical. 4 massive external stacks offset above eaves, the centre pair linked by flush brickwork. The first and third, largely C16, with grouped octagonal shafts, moulded bases, that to left with oversailing cap. Left stack also with moulded bands at first floor and eaves height. Scattered fenestration largely sashes with glazing bars, including early C19 stairwell light with semi-circular head and margin lights. 3 dormers, sashes with glazing bars. North West Elevation: Asymmetrical, originally four stacks, but one reduced. Some C16 brickwork including crowstepping to 3rd stack. Scattered fenestration. 3 dormers, sashes with glazing bars. Ground floor obscured by C20 flat roofed extension. Interior: Saloon, formerly the hall of the C16 house. Rises through 2 storeys. Pine panelled, formerly grained, with dentil cornice. Chimneypiece, said to be stone, with eared surround, swagged frieze, broken pedimented overmantel with garlanded pilasters. Mahogany pedimented doorcase with engaged Corinthian columns, enclosing semi-circular headed doorway, the key- stone bearing the Powys arms, pair of doors, each of 4 panels. Former dining room (now bar), raised and fielded pine panelling, moulded dentil cornice, marble fire surround with shaped brackets. North stairs circa 1680, oak closed string dog-leg stair, with garlands, and with urn finials capped by flowers. String carved with foliage panels. Turned balusters, the bulb set low, and carved with leaves. Moulded rail with carved cornice. Panelled dado. South stair. Mid C18, mahogany, open well, open string, each tread continuing well under that above, and the ends carved. Fluted Corinthian newels, twisted balusters on a vase, 2 per tread. Ramped and wreathed rail. Rondels replace torcheres bove each newel. Panelled Justice room and offices (formerly museum) with marble fire surrounds. Similar library (now billiard room). First floor. Drawing room, (known as Carolean Room) 1680's with very fine plastered ceiling of richly cut naturalistic decoration in panels, at the corners bearing the initials HT (comparable with those at Felbrigg and Melton Constable, Norfolk, and both dated 1687). Bolection moulded panelled walls and dado. Elaborately moulded cornice. Eared coloured marble fire surround with bay leaf pulvinated frieze, Greek key cornice. Overmantel beneath small pediment, the pilasters with husked garlands. Chamber, now principal bedroom, moulded stone fire- place with keyed oval panel above, also stone and containing picture of house, said to be C18, but does not correspond with that formerly in the saloon. Apsed entrance hall, formerly on open loggia, with gallery above, the latter with pair of semi- circular headed doorways at each end, and giving access to wings past saloon. Country Life vol LXIV. 18 August 1928, p 232.

Listing NGR: TM0831743823


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
'Country Life' in 18 August, , Vol. 64, (1928), 232


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].