CHURCH OF SAINT PETER AND SAINT PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1037230
Date first listed:
23-Jan-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT PETER AND SAINT PAUL, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT PETER AND SAINT PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1037230.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 17:33:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT PETER AND SAINT PAUL, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Babergh (District Authority)
Parish:
Lavenham
National Grid Reference:
TL 91283 49021

Details

LAVENHAM CHURCH STREET 1. 5377 (north-west side) Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul TL 94 NW 36/524 23.1.58 GV 2. An outstanding church mainly built during the C15-C16, the period of Lavenham's greatest prosperity as a wool town. The chancel with its crocketted spirelet is the only part that survives of the earlier C14 church. The church was built by the wealthy wool merchants of lavenham, the principal benefactors being -the Spring family and. John de Vere, 13th Earl of Oxford. Wills of Thomas Spring and others show that the west tower was under construction from 1486 to 1495. The upper part was completed early in the C16. The west tower of 4 stages is 141 ft high, built of knapped flint and stone with unusual clasping buttresses. The nave of 7 bays is 156 ft long by 70 ft wide with fine Perpendicular windows and clerestorey and castellated parapets richly ornamented with open work. The south porch, also richly ornamented, has fan vaulting and bears the arms of the De Vere family. North of the chancel is the Branch Chapel (C 1500) and south is the Spring Chapel (dated 1525). The interior has much beautiful detail and fittings, including a rood screen of 1330-40 and carved parclose screens to the north and south chapels. There are monuments of the C15, C16 and C17.

Listing NGR: TL9128549022

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
276673
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04567/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].