Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1037561.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 12:02:16.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Suffolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 71026 74598


TL 7174 12/35




Church, medieval. Nave, chancel, west tower, north and south aisles, north and south porches, north vestry. Flint rubble with limestone dressings; some sections built entirely of freestone. Low-pitched leaded roofs with parapets and parapet gables, except for chancel roof (slated). Vestry early C13, with rib-vaulted ceiling, lancets in north and triple lancet in west wall; further good features in south and east walls. Fine chancel arch, heavily moulded with keeled shafts, tooth ornament and stiff-leaf capitals. The chancel was extended early C14, perhaps for Richard de Wichford (d.1344) - see his tomb slab in floor. 3-light side windows and fine 7-light east window, the outer lights continuing up as a frieze of quatrefoils. Double piscina with moulded ogee-arched head and shafts with foliate capitals. Triple sedilia and trefoil- headed aumbry. The east chancel corner buttresses are linked at their heads to form canopied image niches. Nave, aisles, porches and tower were all rebuilt early/mid C15. 5-bay nave arcade with large clerestory windows, fine roof of arch-braced tie-beams and queen posts, all enriched and infilled with tracery. Intermediate trusses have hammer beams in the form of angels, which also embellish cornices and tie-beams. The north aisle roof is exceptionally fine: massive angel hammer beams with richly figure-carved spandrels, cornices and wall posts. The south aisle roof is similar but has traceried spandrels. North aisle walling has buttresses with canopied niches, flushwork, and panelled and traceried parapets with pinnacles. Large north porch with fan-vaulted ceiling and Lady Chapel above, which has two large openings looking down into aisle. Traceried north door, the doorway is surrounded by fine panelled tracery. External features similar to north aisle. Smaller 1-storey south porch. Tower about 40 metres high; the set-back buttresses have pinnacles at alternate stages. Large west window above west doorway and flanking niches. A minstrel's gallery within the tower is supported on a fine fan-vaulted ceiling, with an inner arch towards the nave and traceried stone balustrading. Early C15 panelled octagonal Purbeck marble font. The medieval rood-screen had two lofts; everything except the stairs and three doorways has gone; the present ornate screen was added 1903. Several windows in chancel and vestry have good fragments of C13 and C14 glass. A cenotaph to Sir Henry Barton, Lord Mayor of London 1416 and 1428, stands in the south aisle. In the south aisle also is the alabaster tomb chest of Sir Henry North (d.1620) with effigies of him and his family; nearby are wall tablets to Roger North, d.1651 and Thomasina North, d.1661. Beside the chancel arch is a wall tablet to the wife of Sir Henry North (d.1671) with morbid epitaph by the bereaved husband. In the chancel are wall tablets to Sir Henry (d.1617) and Edward Warner, and to Mary Warner (d.1601). A number of floor slabs throughout the church, the earlier examples have indents for brasses; see article by Peter Heseltine, Trans. Monumental Brass Society. A floor slab in the vestry to William Coe (diarist), d.1729. Two good C18 wall tablets; in south aisle to Henry Bunbury (d.1722) and in chancel to Revd. John Hunt (d.1736). In the tower is a large panel with Arms of George II, dated 1758.

Listing NGR: TL7102674598


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Church Guide for The Church of St Mary Mildenhall, (1979)
Munro Cautley, H, Suffolk Churches and their Treasures, (1937)
'Transactions of the Monumental Brass Society' in Transactions of the Monumental Brass Society, ()


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/12966/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Paul Martin Clarke. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].