CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1037592
Date first listed:
07-May-1954
Date of most recent amendment:
02-Oct-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH END

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1037592 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 10:53:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH END

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Forest Heath (District Authority)
Parish:
Brandon
National Grid Reference:
TL 77707 86173

Details

TL 78 NE 1/4

BRANDON CHURCH END Church of St. Peter

(Formerly listed under General)

7.5.54

I Church. Medieval, restored 1873. Nave, chancel, west tower, north porch, south aisle, south chapel. Flint rubble with freestone dressings, parapets and parapet gables. Slated roofs; the tower and porch flat, leaded. The core of chancel probably late C13; north doorway with hood-mould; the scrolled dado rail around the inner chancel wall rises to outline its rear-arch. A pair of polygonal angle-turrets at the east end have stone pyramid roofs and pinnacles, restored 1873. Chancel windows perhaps early C14; net-traceried 5- light east window, and 2-light in north and south walls. The south window has dropped-cill sedilia with trefoiled squinches. 2 original gargoyles on north side. South nave arcade of originally 4-bays, late C13, with slender trefoiled piers, and similar chancel arch with engaged columns. Moulded arched north nave doorway of early C14, hoodmoulded with good mask drip stones. West tower added early C15: 3 tall stages with angle buttresses, crenellated parapet with sunk trefoils and mask gargoyles, large 2-light belfry openings. West doorway with C19 door having tracery of early C15 type - perhaps a fair copy of the original; above it an early C15 window of 3 lights. The inner doorway to the tower stairs has its original iron-clad door. Porch probably C15, with 2-light side windows, the doorway with pilasters renewed early C16. Beside the north doorway is a pillar stoup with traceried stem and moulded bowl. The C15 door has a trailing-leaf carved border. C15 south aisle with moulded south doorway. In early C16 major alterations made to south and west part of church: a 5th arch added to nave arcade, also the tower arch rebuilt. South chapel added with 3-light windows and an arched opening into the aisle. A rood screen extended from north to south walls across chancel-and chapel-arches; rood-loft stair turrets remain, attached to north and south walls, and a blocked doorway at south end. Lower part of screen is almost complete; the-boarding has applied tracery and some original decoration; the upper part added 1930. A 2-bay arcade links chapel to chancel. The roofs were renewed throughout in 1873: in the nave a 5-bay hammer-beam roof with arch-braced collars (the aisle roof is similar), in the chancel principal rafters and collars have vigorous soffit-cusping, echoed by wind-braced purlins. Font of c.1300 with plain octagonal bowl and stem and 8 supporting detached shafts with moulded caps and bases. 4 good C15 choir- stalls with poppyhead ends, buttresses and traceried fronts. In the nave are about 17 poppyhead bench ends of C15 or C16, some with buttresses and carved figures, reused in new pews of 1873. 3 further poppyhead ends of c.1600, also reused. The marble altar reredos of 1873 has Italian carved alabaster medallions. In the west tower window is stained glass dated 1864; similar glazing is in the west aisle and east chancel windows. On the south chapel wall a painted panel records the bequest of Mrs. Anne Wilder, nee Diggon, 1772.

Listing NGR: TL7770786173

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
275813
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/06660/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Hull. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].