CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1037614

Date first listed: 07-May-1954

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1037614 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 01:26:22.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Forest Heath (District Authority)

Parish: Freckenham

National Grid Reference: TL 66597 71758

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 67 SE 3/22

FRECKENHAM CHURCH LANE Church of St. Andrew

7.5.54

II* Church, medieval with alterations of 1867-9 by G.E. Street; the tower rebuilt 1884. Nave, chancel, north aisle with organ chamber (formerly chapel ), west tower, south porch and north vestry. Flint rubble with limestone dressings and parapets. Roofs mostly plaintiled; the aisle and tower roofs leaded. In the chancel are several features of late C13: a Y-traceried vestry window, another in the chancel with low-side windows, another with plate tracery and dropped- cell sedilia, and the adjacent double piscina with trefoiled head. Of c.1300 is the 3-light east window with inner shafts; the hoodmould and flanking dado have carved foliate stops. North and south nave doorways and vestry doorway all plain, perhaps of c.1300; also the south chancel doorway and Y-traceried window above. The north aisle was added late C14; the existing C19 2-light windows probably correctly copy the originals, as elsewhere. 4-bay arcade of clustered columns with moulded capitals; a matching arch leads into the organ chamber. Later C14 aisle roof with arch-braced tie-beams, moulded purlins with leaf-carved bosses and applied angels; wall-pieces on figure-carved wooden corbels. The chapel roof and window are of C15; also roofs to nave and chancel, canted and boarded in square panels with carved bosses; in the chancel these contain painted escutcheons, in the nave they are leaf-carved. The porch was rebuilt 1867 with moulded arched doorway in the manner of c.1300. In 1884 the tower collapsed and was rebuilt in the Perpendicular style, with clasping buttresses, west doorway and crenellated parapets. Octagonal limestone font of late C14 or C15. In the nave and aisle are 5 sets of 8 C15 pews, well- restored, many having original poppy-head ends with fine carved figures. An alabaster plaque with traces of paint found buried in the north wall c.1770, is reset beside the north doorway; it is believed to be from a C15 altar and depicts a miracle by St. Eligius. In the nave is a painted late C18 plaque recording the bequest of Mrs Catherin Shore. In several chancel windows is good C19 stained glass, some with painted borders perhaps containing medieval glass.

Listing NGR: TL6659771758

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 275763

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing