CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1037681
Date first listed:
07-May-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, BROOKSIDE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1037681 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 22:09:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, BROOKSIDE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Forest Heath (District Authority)
Parish:
Moulton
National Grid Reference:
TL 69968 64145

Details

TL 66 SE 5/60

MOULTON BROOKSIDE Church of St. Peter

7.5.54

I Church. Medieval, restored 1851. Nave, chancel, west tower, north and south aisles, north and south transeptal chapels, south porch. Flint rubble with some limestone rubble, with dressings of limestone and clunch; crenellated parapets and parapet-gables. Slated roofs to nave, chancel and porch; flat roofs elsewhere. The 4 main phases of work are:- a) Fragments of C12 nave. b) Early C14 tower. c) Late C15 or early C16 virtual rebuilding of body of church. d) Major restoration of C16 work in 1851. At each corner of the nave, some walling and limestone quoins with engaged columns and chamfered abaci from the previous, C12, nave. A 3-stage tower added C14. The parapet cornice has closely-spaced mask ornament and 3 carved gargoyles. On all sides are 2-light belfry openings and on the north and south sides flanking side lights. 2-light west window above moulded doorway. Sanctus bell opening (blocked) and chamfered tower arch. All other work was renewed c.1500, probably in stages. Large mainly 3- and 4-light windows (many with transomes). Moulded doorways; one blocked, led from the north aisle to an anchorite's cell, later demolished. The nave arcades have embattled capitals to the attached shafts. Roofs heavily restored, perhaps replaced in the chancel. Nave roof in 6 bays: hammer beams with arch-braces to high collars and short kingposts. The deep cornice has a carved angel to each bay. The chancel roof similar, in 5 bays. In the chancel a piscina with traceried head, another in the south transept. In the north transept the pillar and base only remain of a projecting piscina. complete roodloft stair on the north side; beside it, corbels for 2 images, and on the south side a niche for a third. Octagonal limestone font, C16 but heavily recut, bearing the emblems of the Passion in panels; fine C16 cover, of cupola form with crockets on each rib. In the chancel, 4 C16 bench ends built into C19 choirstalls, with carved animals upon the buttresses. Wall tablet in the chancel to Francis Seyliard, rector, 1676. Marble floor slabs, 1729 in chancel, and 1699 in north transept. A fragment of limestone in the south aisle has 2 human figures crudely carved in relief, C12 or earlier; possibly from the tympanum over an entrance door. All the C16 stonework was heavily restored in 1851. The south porch and all other furnishings provided 1851.

Listing NGR: TL6996864145

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
275620
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12966/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Paul Martin Clarke. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].