CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1037911
Date first listed:
03-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1037911.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:39:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
Staffordshire Moorlands (District Authority)
Parish:
Alton
National Grid Reference:
SK 05902 41336

Details

ALTON C.P. BRADLEY-IN-THE-MOORS SK 04 SE Church of St. Leonard 7/1 3/1/67 - II* Chapel-of-ease. Dated 1750. Ashlar with herringbone tooling and smooth faced ashlar dressings; plain tile roof with coped verges. West tower, 3-bay nave, single-bay chancel. West tower: 3 stages with bracketed eaves cornice and plain parapet with corner pinnacles, first stage west window with raised keystone to a semi-circular arch springing from an impost band, second stage has a rectangular loop to the west and a circular sundial to the south with moulded surround, the belfry windows have semi-circular arches and raised surrounds. Nave: semi-circular arch windows with raised surrounds and fluted keys, the arches spring from an impost band; 6-panelled south door with raised and moulded surround, fluted keystone and bracketed cornice hood, lunette over with fluted key; the north side of the nave has a single central window and a lateral external stack towards the east end; eaves cornice consisting of a hollow chamfer below a cyma recta. Chancel: east window with semi-circular arch, reeded key and raised surround breaking a band continued on the south side as an impost band, south door with semi-circular arch moulded surround and triple-raised keystone, lunette over with moulded surround and raised key; eaves cornice as nave. All windows have lead cames. Interior: semi-circular chancel arch with moulded edge and raised and fluted keystone springing from an impost band with ovolo and cyma reversa mouldings; plain semi-circular tower arch; plaster nave ceiling with boxed beams; semi-circular rere-arch to east window springing from square moulded capitals. Fitting: C18 stone font with circular moulded base, baluster shaft and~round basin with heavy lip; simple panelled pews and wainscotting; hexagonal wooden pulpit with ogee arched panels; C18 alter table and reredos, the former has 5 panels with curved foliage decoration, the latter has 3 bays, fluted pilasters define a central pedimented aedicule flanked by lower patterned panels. Monuments: several all plaques: William Holmes died 1757, panel with roll moulded surround and bracketed sill; Thomas Annishaw died 1791, Thomas Holmes died[198, William Holmes died 1820, marble plaque capped by an urn. B.O.E. p. 77.

Listing NGR: SK0590241336

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
274997
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 77

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/09754/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Terence Moors. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].