ORANGERY, SCREEN WALL AND POTTING SHEDS APPROXIMATELY 200 METRES NORTH EAST OF HEATH HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1037930

Date first listed: 08-Aug-1986

Statutory Address: ORANGERY, SCREEN WALL AND POTTING SHEDS APPROXIMATELY 200 METRES NORTH EAST OF HEATH HOUSE, HOLLINGTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ORANGERY, SCREEN WALL AND POTTING SHEDS APPROXIMATELY 200 METRES NORTH EAST OF HEATH HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1037930 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 03:56:09.

Location

Statutory Address: ORANGERY, SCREEN WALL AND POTTING SHEDS APPROXIMATELY 200 METRES NORTH EAST OF HEATH HOUSE, HOLLINGTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands (District Authority)

Parish: Checkley

National Grid Reference: SK 02755 39296

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 03 NW CHECKLEY C.P. HOLLINGTON ROAD (south side)

9/134 Orangery, screen wall and potting sheds approx. 200m N. E. of Heath House

- II*

Orangery. Circa 1830 by James Trubshaw, Yellow sandstone ashlar; curved hipped glazed roof on cast iron glazing bars. Single-storey front on stepped plinth of five bays, the outer broken forward with pilasters at angles, the inner divided by Ionic half columns all supporting a deep frieze with lions head corbels and dentilled cornice with blocking course, the centre of which has a raised step bearing a seated girl with a dog; round-arched openings with moulded imposts and arch; console keystones, small-pane French casements. Side elevations have one glazed bay of similar style and rear (to north) a similar entrance, placed centrally beneath frieze and cornice, in an otherwise plain facade. The main facade is flanked by set back screen walls of approximately three bays of recessed panels (for training fruit espaliers) and ended by piers, the rear sides of the screens have slate roof, lean-to potting sheds, symmetrically placed and each with two chamfered mullion windows and boarded door. Interior: stone flagged floor and plastered walls (Part lost); the corbels set high on the walls look like the support for a former roof but served to hold fern baskets during the horticultural craze of the mid C19. The orginal drawing of the orangery exists of 1829 and signed James Trubshaw. Most of the scheme as executed is consistent except the screen walls were intended to be longer and had urns as finials to the piers; also the central sculpture was intended to be much larger and of a reclining figure. Drawings in possession of Mrs Phillips, Heath House, at time of Resurvey (August 1985).

Listing NGR: SK0275539296

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 274938

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing