CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1037959
Date first listed:
03-Jan-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
08-Aug-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1037959 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 22:48:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
Staffordshire Moorlands (District Authority)
Parish:
Checkley
National Grid Reference:
SK 02798 37889

Details

SK 03 NW; 9/100

CHECKLEY C.P., CHURCH LANE (north side)

Church of St. Mary

(formerly listed as Church of St Mary and All Saints)

03.01.67

GV

I

Parish church. C12 core with work of early C14. C15 and substantially rebuilt C17. Finely coursed, squared and dressed yellow sandstone; lead covered roofs invisible behind parapets. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, south porch and chancel.

Tower of approximately five stages with thin buttresses of three stages; tower is stepped-in below bell chamber; string with gargoyles below plain parapet which has small (almost insignificant) crocketed pinnacles at angles, C17 bell chamber openings are round arched with two-light panel tracery (with transoms), lancets below; blind west window round-arched with pilasters in double reveal over 3-light panel tracery window. Nave: C17 clerestory windows; crenellated parapet on string; rainwater heads carry the date 1810. North aisle: of three buttressed bays with crenellated parapet; two labelled, almost round-arched C17 3-light windows on moulded cill band and pointed entrance in smaller east bay; east and west end windows with intersecting tracery. South aisle: of three bays similar to north, three-light, labelled square-headed windows, pointed 3-light east and west end windows. South door circa 1300 pointed with deep moulded reveal, three pilasters, ball-flower towards extrados and moulded finial; south porch has rib vault and solid stone roof with pointed outer entrance. Chancel: late C13 of four bays divided by thin buttresses of two stages; pointed 3-light windows with moulded, deep reveals and intersecting tracery, similar 5-light east window with fleuron decoration at intersections of tracery; Tudor arch priest door to right of centre bay on south side.

INTERIOR: nave of four bays: pointed arcade, circular columns but the central column on the north side is octagonal and on the south side clustered. Pointed chancel arch of early C13 with steps up to chancel. Nave roof of low pitch; stubby posts off moulded tie beams carry moulded purlins; chancel roof similar but with panel tracery in the space between tie beam and roof. Aisle roofs of C19 with pent tie beams. Pulpit: stone, C19, four sides of an octagon with arcading. Font: C12 drum-shaped with low relief carving depicting a donkey. Choir stalls: circa 1535 with poppyhead finials. Monument: cross legged C14 knight to chancel north and effigy of Godfrey Foljambe and wife to south on alabaster crest circa 1560; four marble plaques to east of south aisle including one to the Phillips family of Tean House (qv); hatchment over south door. Glass: C14 glass in chancel.

Listing NGR: SK0279237889

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
274904
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 99

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/06588/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Geoffrey R Hood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].