This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HAZLEHURST AQUEDUCT

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HAZLEHURST AQUEDUCT

List entry Number: 1038095

Location

HAZLEHURST AQUEDUCT
HAZLEHURST AQUEDUCT, CALDON CANAL (LEEK BRANCH)

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Cheddleton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Dec-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 274529

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHEDDLETON C.P. CALDON CANAL SJ 95 SE 5/40 Hazlehurst Aqueduct 3.1.67

- II

Aqueduct. Dated 1841. Painted brickwork with stone dressings. Single round arch (including towpath) with several bands to extrados, inset spandrel panels finished at centre by inscribed plaque: "HAZLEHURST/AQUEDUCT/1841". Parapet over, on corbels; the sides of the parapet and main face are swept round in a curve and tapered down to piers to take the embankment of the upper (Leek Branch) canal. The Leek Branch of the Caldon Canal was opened circa 1801, John Rennie engineer. The Caldon Canal which it crosses was opened circa 1779. The early surveys of the main canal were done in 1772 by James Brindley, but upon his untimely death the work was taken over by Rennie. The Leek Branch was built to take cheaper coal to Leek, the main canal took limestone from Caldon Low to the Potteries.

Listing NGR: SJ9542853626

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 95428 53626

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1038095 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2018 at 10:18:12.

End of official listing