CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1038155.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 11:19:32.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Staffordshire Moorlands (District Authority)
- National Park:
- PEAK DISTRICT
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 13269 50697
SK 15 SW; 8/113
ILAM C.P., ILAM PARK
Church of the Holy Cross
Parish Church. The core is probably C11, partly rebuilt in C13 and extended in 1618 and 1831; the church underwent major restoration in 1855-6 under the direction of Sir George Gilbert Scott. Coursed and squared rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings; clay tile roofs with bands of shaped tiles and coped verges. West tower; 3-bay nave; Chancel; North aisle; NE and SE chapels.
West Tower: C13 lancet to ground floor on South side; restored West window of two trefoil headed lights; two trefoiled belfry openings to each side Saddleback roof. Nave: South side has one tall C13 lancet to the left and a restored C14 window of three trefoil-headed lights beneath a square head to right; this encroaches on a blocked, probably Anglo-Saxon, roundheaded doorway; C19 gabled porch to left. Chancel: The East window of 1855-6 has three cusped, graded lancets framed by nook shafts with naturalistic foliage to the capitals and a continuous hood mould terminating in busts of a king and queen. North Aisle: Late C13 style windows of two cusped lights with pointed trefoil above; door to right; West window tracery incorporates a 6-lobed star. N E Chapel: 1831. Octagonal plan; biggest feature of church and almost free-standing; windows have 4-centred arches, cusped, intersecting tracery and hood moulds; each of the four northernmost faces has a trefoiled head loop. Buttresses at the angles terminate in small gables decorated with buses. S E Chapel: St Bertram's Chapel. Date over south door presumably refers to restoration of former Charity Chapel. "RM/RP1/NH/1618". Windows have square heads with ogee and sunken spandrels; Tudor arch doorway with hood mould terminating in busts.
INTERIOR: North arcade by Scott: cylindrical columns with moulded bases and capitals; roll moulding and roll and fillet moulding to pointed arches; naturalistic foliage at springing point. Chancel arch by Scott, pointed with three orders of moulding: roll, kell, and roll and fillet; engaged columns with naturalistic foliage to capitals; hood mould terminating in busts of a queen and a bishop. Tower arch: Pointed and chamfered arch springing from corbels. Nave roof is of crown post construction with scissor bracing, bolted rather than jointed. Chancel: Reredos by Scott; small aumbry on N side; wagon roof. David Pike Watts Memorial Chapel: Moulded vaulting ribs springing from corbels with angels carved on them; bosses along the ridge rib with armorial bearings surrounded by naturalistic foliage; frieze around foot of walls consisting of lozenge shapes containing quatrefoils. Fittings: Font Romanesque, probably C12, circular bowl with figures carved on sides. Rood screen and screen on South side of Chancel; designed by Scott and made by Skidmore of Coventry; wrought iron with arrangements of flowers and foliage with arches and quatrefoils in the squares. Monuments: Meverell Monument: Alabaster; two reclining figures coats of arms to side and end of chest tomb. Inscribed: "HERE LYETH Y BODIES / OF ROBERT MEVE / RELE ESQV. & ELIZ / HIS WIFE DAUGiiTER / TO S. THO. FLEMING / KNI.T & LORD CHIEF JUSTICE OF Y KINDS / BENCH BY WHO HE / HAD ISSUE ONLY ONE / DAUGHT WHO MARRIED THO. LORD CROMWELL( VISCONTE LE GAILE / WCH."ROBERT DIED THE 5TH OF FEBR . AN ° 1626 / & ELIZAB TH / DEPARTED 5TH OF AVGVST 1626". Above is a wall monument depicting Meverell's daughter and her three young children all kneeling within an aedicule of Corinthian columns supporting a semi-circular arch; surmounted by a pedestal with upraised hand brandishing a sword, shields to either side. Shrine of St Bertelin: probably C14; open quatrefoils to sides and ends of chest. David Pike Watts Memorial by Sir Francis Chantrey: Male figure sitting up to receive a kneeling female figure. and 3 children; chest tomb below has panelled sides with armorial bearings. A large and impressive piece of sculpture.
Listing NGR: SK1326850697
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing