CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1038433
Date first listed:
12-Mar-1964
Date of most recent amendment:
08-Sep-1999
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1038433.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 05:36:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
East Staffordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Tatenhill
National Grid Reference:
SK 20544 22076

Details

SK22SW TATENHILL MAIN STREET (east side )

6/89 Church of St Michael 12.3.1964

GV II*

Parish church. C13 core substantially altered and extended C15; restored by Bodley circa 1890. Coursed, dressed and squared sandstone, tiled roof. Tower, nave and chancel. TOWER: C15 of 3 stages; diagonal buttresses of 3 stages to west only; string. set at buttresses head level; moulded coved string below crenellated parapet. Labelled 2-light pointed bell chamber openings with panel tracery; single-light to centre stage south; round-arched 4-light west window has transoms with round arches to lights. NAVE: of C13 fabric; 4 bays divided by 3-stage buttresses; deep square-head, cavetto mullioned and transomed 4-light windows with arched lights; 2 Tudor-arched single lights over late C19 timber framed gabled porch; south door C13 steeply arched, fillet mouldings on 3 tiers of columns; pointed door to north side opposite. CHANCEL: lower than nave, mainly C15, of 3 bays (larger east bay), again divided by 3-stage buttresses, deeply rebated, 3-centred-arched cavetto mullioned and transomed 4-light windows; trefoil heads to lights and some panel tracery; cills continued as strings; restored S- light pointed east window; pointed Priest door under centre bay, south side. INTERIOR: pointed moulded arch to chancel, C19 nave roof with tie, king post and diagonal braces to boarding with circle motifs. CHANCEL: brat ti shed ties and ogee bracing to trusses, boarding with cusped decoration. Floor in black and white marble of Bodley's design, stepped down to chancel. PULPIT: in oak with figures also late C19. FONT: C13, stone circular bowl dying into columns at base. Piscina and sedilia, trefoil-headed of 4 bays.

MONUMENTS: Mrs Griffiths, died 1641, stone; kneeling woman set between pilasters under break fronted cornices and oval panel below. GLASS: East window by Ward & Hughes.



Formerly listed as: TATENHILL C.P. POSTERN ROAD SK 22 SW (east side) 6/89 Church of 12.3.64 St Michael GV II*

Parish church. C13 core substantially altered and extended C15; restored by Bodley circa 1890. Coursed, dressed and squared sandstone, tiled roof. Tower, nave and chancel. Tower: C15 of 3 stages; diagonal buttresses of 3 stages to west only; string set at buttress head level; moulded coved string below crenellated parapet. Labelled 2-light pointed bell chamber openings with panel tracery; single-light to centre stage south; round- arched 4-light west window has transoms with round arches to lights. Nave: of C13 fabric; 4 bays divided by 3-stage buttresses; deep square-head, cavetto mullioned and transomed 4-light windows with arched lights; 2 Tudor-arched single lights over late C19 timber framed gabled porch; south door C13 steeply arched, fillet mouldings on 3 tiers of columns; pointed door to north side opposite. Chancel: lower than nave, mainly C15, of 3 bays (larger east bay), again divided by 3-stage buttresses; deeply rebated, 3-centred-arched cavetto mullioned and transomed 4-light windows; trefoil heads to lights and some panel tracery; cills continued as strings; restored 5-light pointed east window; pointed Priest door under centre bay, south side. Interior: pointed moulded arch to chancel, C19 nave roof with tie, king post and diagonal braces to boarding with circle motifs. Chancel: brattished ties and ogee bracing to trusses, boarding with cusped decoration. Floor in black and white marble of Bodley's design, stepped down to chancel. Pulpit: in oak with figures also late C19. Font: C13, stone circular bowl dying into columns at base. Piscina and sedilia, trefoil-headed of 4 bays. Monuments: Mrs Griffiths, died 1641, stone; kneeling woman set between pilasters under break fronted cornice and oval panel below. Glass: East window by Ward & Hughes. B.o.E.



Listing NGR: SK2054422076

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
273668
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/04649/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Anthea Hatfield. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].