CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1038436
Date first listed:
26-Mar-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1038436 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 10:35:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
East Staffordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Tatenhill
National Grid Reference:
SK 18055 22965

Details

TATENHILL C.P. RANGEMORE SK 12 SE 5/98 Church of - All Saints GV II*

Chapel of Ease. 1866-7 by Butterfield for Thomas Bass, the Brewer, of The Lawns (q.v.), with south aisle also by Butterfield of 1884-6 and chancel by Bodley of 1895. Chisel-draughted, coursed and dressed stone and smooth dressings; tiled roofs with verge parapets. West tower, nave, chancel, south aisle and vestry. Tower: on plinth, of 3 stages divided by strings; angle buttresses of 4 stages continued as pilasters into slightly projecting top frieze of quatrefoils, pent stair turret to north- east; short broach spire with plate tracery lucarnes; 2-light pointed bell chamber openings, quatrefoil medallions either side of head, openwork wrought iron clock set within head, lancet to first stage and plate tracery, 2-light West window. Nave: gabled north porch with diagonal buttresses and pointed arch with trefoil-shaped label and quatrefoil to apex, set to west end of nave of 4 bays divided by single-stage buttresses; labelled 2-light plate tracery windows. Chancel: of 1895, more richly decorated than remainder, of 2 bays and lower roofline than nave; string below well-rebated 2-light pointed windows set under eaves. Similar 3-light East window with low-relief figures in tripartite panels below. South aisle: of 5 bays divided by gabletted 2-stage buttresses; fleurons to coved eaves band; raised cill string; pointed 3-light trefoil-headed windows, paired to east bay and paired 2-lights to west end; Priest's door to east bay; low flat-roofed vestry attached to east and run up flush with east end of chancel; unusual square-headed quatrefoil tracery, 4-light window to east side. Interior: 5-bay pointed arcade, with fleurons in the intrados, on clustered marble columns, pointed chancel arch; painted trussed nave roof; similarly painted, boarded barrel vault chancel roof; chancel with canted apsidal end with figures in niches and typical Bodley black and white marble floor; figures also set into reveals of aisle windows; organ bay roof finely painted; elaborate oak screen to chancel. Pulpit: oak, 3-sided front on stone plinth. Font: under tower: octagonal of different coloured marbles, arcaded sides with cinquefoil gablets. Reredos: oak-panelled and painted, stone figures to rear. Inscribed brass hatchments in chancel. B.o.E.

Listing NGR: SK1805522965

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
273677
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/12704/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Geoffrey R Hood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].